Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Gage Dog

Ohhhhh the hot dog. Everybody's favorite thing they hate to love. I personally am not a huge fan of the cheap (I don't know whats really in them) dogs from the grocery store, but, this recipe I will eat...everytime! The GAGE dog.
We were having a bbq at my sisters house a few years ago and my brother in law said that we had to try this version of a hot dog. It was fantastic. How can a hot dog with bacon not be good. Anyway, I believe it was his creation, or maybe it was something that he had seen before, BUT my husband loved it (as I recall he may have snarfed down one or two extra hot dogs that day.) Since they are brothers and they both love them, it is now called the GAGE dog in our household.


*I forgot to snap a picture of our dogs this time, so I tried to find the closest
thing on the web I could to what it looks like. I will update a new picture
when we make them again! But this is a great picture for if you forget to wrap the bacon around the dog, like I sometimes do :)*

hot dogs (I personally prefer the polish dogs from Costco)
bacon
bbq sauce

optional fantastic toppings I recommend:
sauerkraut
pickled red onion (recipe to follow tomorrow)
cheese
chopped fresh onion
pickle relish
(Basically anything you like with bbq)

(If your using cheese this is how I do it)
1. Make a small incision in the hot dog. Take it the length of the hot dog but not to deep, because you don't want your hot dog cut in half.
2. Stuff the hot dog with as much or as little cheese as you like.
(If not using cheese this is where you start)
3. Take a slice of bacon and wrap it around your hot dog, secure with toothpicks if needed.
4. Put a little bit of bbq sauce on the bacon wrapped dog and throw it on the grill to cook. (don't forget to remove the toothpicks when done!)
5. Grill your buns a little to get them nice and toasty
6. When done load up your bun with whatever toppings are your favorite. Mine usually is extra bbq sauce, fresh onion, and sauerkraut. My sisters is with extra bbq sauce and pickled red onion.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ You can load up your dogs according to the things you like, obviously, but I would make sure that you only add extra toppings that will go good with bbq sauce. I think some slightly cooked peppers would be awesome, maybe mushrooms? I don't know. Send me your favorite bbq toppings and I will try them out!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...