Friday, July 19, 2013

Pickled Red Onions

Yep. You read it right. Pickled, Red, Onions. I got this recipe from my sister who said I have to give it a try on our Gage Dogs, which I did and wow...these are fantastic! Where have they been all my life. I usually slather up my dogs in just the raw red onion or sauerkraut, but these take them to a whole other level. I really can't even describe them other then to say, JUST TRY THEM! They would be great on any hot dog, hamburger, whatever.

3/4 cup white vinegar
3 TBSP sugar
pinch of salt
1 bay leaf
5 allspice berries
5 whole cloves (swap with horseradish for beef)
a small dried chili pepper
1 large red onion, sliced

1. Heat everything but the onions to boiling.
2. Add onion slices to simmer 30 seconds.
3. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
4. Transfer to a jar and store in fridge. Will keep for several months.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I really don't have anything to add to this since I don't have much to compare it to. Its great just the way it is. Let me know what your favorite recipes are that you tried this on! I would love to get some more ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...