Friday, July 26, 2013

Colombian Chicken Sancocho

Okay all. I broke way out of my comfort zone the other night and made a Colombian dish in honor of one of my best friends down here. She has inspired me to branch out and try some new ingredients while at her home so I figured I should give some of them a try on my own. Guess what?! IT WAS A SUCCESS! My husband had two big bowls full of this soup, and that says something as he is not usually a huge eater. The chicken turns out super tender and moist and the broth is full of flavor. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. I served mine up with a side of quinoa and would have had some sliced avocado as well but when I went to pull one out, they were all mushy and bad.

This recipe was another great find from my always favorite site SkinnyTaste! It is one of her older recipes so I have a feeling it doesn't get much attention anymore as she has soooo many delicious recipes. Honestly, if you are ever out of ideas and nothing from my blog sounds good :)....head on over to hers and I guarantee you will find something you will love. I have made so many recipes of hers and only had maybe one that I didn't care for to much.

6 skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp oil
5 scallions, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch pieces
3 pieces of yucca (about 2 cups)
3 ears corn, cut in half
1 small green plantain, peeled and chopped into 1" pieces
1 tsp cumin
2 chicken boullion cubes (For GF double check your boullion, some have gluten)
salt to taste

In a large pot, saute scallions, onions and garlic in oil. Add tomatoes and saute another minute. Add chicken pieces and season with a little salt. Saute a few minutes, then add yucca and plantain and fill pot with water. Add chicken bullion, cumin and half of the cilantro and cover pot. Simmer on low for about 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, adjust salt and add potatoes, cook and additional 15 minutes. Add corn and cook an additional 7 minutes or until corn is cooked. Serve in large bowls, and top with cilantro.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I would recommend using frozen yucca but if you can't find it fresh works fine it is just a little more work to prepare.
~ I wasn't sure how much water to put in this recipe. In my pot it was about an inch from the top with 6-7 cups, I did end up having to take some out once I tried to put the corn in at the end though because it was overflowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...