Monday, July 15, 2013

Fruit Bruschetta

This is by far my favorite appetizer to make whenever I am asked to bring one. The fresh fruit on top of cinnamon bread with this amazingly fantastic orange-honey creamy sauce on top....makes my mouth water! I love this recipe because it is a great fresh and healthier appetizer.
Not only does it taste fantastic but it is very appealing to the eye, so they will disappear within minutes! The sauce is what makes this recipe different then just a regular old fruit salsa with cinnamon chips recipe (although also a great appetizer).
Whether its a classy party or just a small get together with close friends and family, this appetizer will be a hit.

This recipe came from Our Best Bites. They said they usually pick out which fruit to use for this based on what is in season and what looks the best. I personally have only made it with this same set of ingredients, but I bet it would be great with an assortment of other berries or fruits. Switch it up and let me know what worked great and what didn't (if any!)

1 baguette or similar-sized French bread loaf
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1-1/2 C diced strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries)
1 C finely diced mango (about 1 medium mango)
1 C finely diced kiwi (about 3 kiwi)

1/2 C Sour Cream (I recommend full fat)
3 Tbsp. honey
1 tsp orange zest

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Slice bread into 1/2 inch slices. Place in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Use a pastry brush to brush each piece with melted butter. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle evenly over bread slices. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are toasted. Set aside to cool.

While bread is toasting, combine sour cream, honey, and orange zest. Stir to combine and place in the fridge.

Combine strawberries, mango, and kiwi and stir gently to combine. When bread is cooled, place about 1 Tbsp. of fruit mixture on top of each toasted bread slice and drizzle with sweet sour cream mixture.
*If needed, thin sour cream sauce with 1/2-1 tsp orange juice. Garnish with mint leaves if desired. Serve immediately.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ The first time I made this I forgot to put the cinnamon sugar and butter on the toast before I put it in the oven. I just stuck it under the broiler to toast them. Since I forgot, I just added it after and it was still good. I usually do remember to add it before now, but I do still put it under the broiler since its faster to get the bread toasted.
~ I usually end up squeezing a lot of the orange juice out of the orange to add to the sauce. It always ends up way to thick for me to drizzle.
~ Again, make sure you use good fresh ingredients. Since the fruit is the main part of this dish if you use fruit that isn't fresh and ready to use, then the whole thing will not taste as good.

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...