Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Slow Cooked Jerk Pork

This recipe smells absolutely fantastic cooking all day. It took a lot of self control to not try to eat it after only a couple of hours. Marinading it overnight in a great combination of sweet, fresh citrus juices and some spicy jerk flavors really gives this pork a great flavor base before cooking it. You can make it as spicy or not as you want, and either way it will be fantastic. I topped mine off with the Mango and Black Bean Salad I posted about yesterday and it was FANTASTIC! Mine ended up being a little spicy so having that salad there with the avocado and mango really helped cool it down. This would be fantastic served over plain rice, cilantro rice, coconut rice...anything really.


3 lb boneless pork shoulder blade roast, lean, all fat removed
6 cloves garlic, crushed
2 - 3 tbsp Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning
1/2 tsp coarse salt
1 lime, squeezed
1/2 cup fresh orange juice

Using a sharp knife, cut slits into the pork and stuff holes with half of the crushed garlic. Combine the remaining garlic, jerk seasoning, and salt, rub all over pork (you may want to wear gloves). Place in a large container, pour the lime and orange juice over the pork; cover and refrigerate 5 hours or overnight, turning pork occasionally so the marinade covers all of pork.

The next morning, put everything in the crock pot and cook on LOW for 9 hours.

After 9 hours, remove pork and shred using two forks.Remove liquid from crock pot and reserve. Add shredded pork back to the slow cooker. Add about 1 cup of the liquid back into the crock pot and taste for salt and pepper. Let it cook an additional 15 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ So I tried to find the Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning at a couple of stores and couldn't find any so I just made due with what I could find. I found a Jamaican Seasoning in the bulk section at Winco and also a Caribbean Jerk Seasoning by McCormick in the spice aisle. I opted for the bulk stuff. Now I don't personally have anything to compare it to since I have never made any kind of "jerk" meat before, but this seemed pretty spicy. I only added 2 TBSP of it and it was a bit much for me. Now I am a bit of a pansy when it comes to spicy food so this may be something you need to play around with. I personally will probably only add 1 TBSP next time. Again, it will all depend on what brand you buy and what your personal spice levels are.
~ This recipe came from SkinnyTaste and she paired hers with a different mango salsa. It is pretty much the same thing as the one I served mine, but hers only consisted of mango, avocado, cilantro,  red onion, and the lime juice...my variation had black beans and some red wine vinegar in it. You could try both and see which you prefer.
~ To make this freezer friendly simply make ahead of time, shred, and freeze in the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...