Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Thai Peanut Dressing

Over the weekend we had a big get together with a bunch of friends from the ward. We decided to have a Thai themed potluck. I'll tell you what...I have some amazing cooks as friends. I could learn a lot from them!
We realized that we were going to end up with a lot of main course items so I hurried and bought some lettuce to throw a quick salad together and realized I had no idea what kind of dressing to serve on top of it. I searched high and low and came across a whole bunch of different peanut dressings and this is the one I chose to make because I trust the site it came from. This dressing had rave reviews from all my friends, so here I am sharing it with all of you! Enjoy!

This recipe came from Our Best Bites.

1/2 C peanut butter
1 lime, juiced and zested
2 1/2 t sesame oil
1 T seasoned rice wine vinegar
2 T soy sauce (For GF, just double check which kind you buy. Some have gluten and some don't)
3 T honey
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 T minced ginger
1/2 C roughly chopped cilantro (stems and all)
1/2 C vegetable oil
1/4 t kosher salt*
2-3 t sriracha chili sauce*
2-4 T water*

*The need for salt may differ depending on the brand of PB you use. Taste first and then add.
*I use 3 t Sriaracha, but you may want more or less depending on your preference of heat levels. Again, taste first and then add.
*Lastly, the addition of the water is purely for consistency which again, depends on the PB brand you use. Add water until you get the consistency you want, or leave it out completely.

Place everything in a blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 2 cups.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Depending on your blender your dressing may come out with little green specs in it from the cilantro. Yes it may not look appetizing, but it does add some great flavor.
~ I ended up adding about another 1/4 cup or more of peanut butter. I tested it with the original recipe and it just seemed wayyyyyy to powerhouse of different flavors. I really wanted to peanut flavor to shine through a little more.
~ Also I ended up adding quite a bit more water then they said as well because I wanted my dressing pretty thin.
~ Mine did end up separating a lot while it was sitting, so I wouldn't recommend making it to far in advance unless you can mix it all back together again. Even while people were dishing it up they had to keep stirring it back together after every few people.
~ For gluten free, make sure you check the ingredients in your soy sauce. Some don't advertise as being gluten free but they really are and some are even the cheap brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...