Monday, February 24, 2014

Coffee Cake

Oh coffee cake. I know that when you think coffee cake most people think of the spice cake that has the brown sugar topping on it. In my household that is known as "Cowboy Coffee Cake". So when I hear coffee cake this is what I think of. Every Christmas, Easter, General Conference, etc. my mom would make this for us and it was always my favorite.
I haven't had this in such a long time because my husband is not a fan of cooked fruit so using jam in anything is out of the question. But I have been craving some of this yummy deliciousness lately so it might just have to happen anyway!



2 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup raspberry preserves (or your favorite flavor)
1/2 cup sliced almonds

1. Heat oven to 350.
2. Grease and flour the bottom and sides of a 9 or 10 inch spring form pan.
3. In a large bowl combine flour and 3/4 cup sugar.
4. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Reserve 1 cup crumb mixture.
5. To remaining crumb mixture add baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, 1 egg, and almond extract; blend well.
6. Spread over bottom and 2 inches up sides of prepared pan.
7. In small bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar and 1 egg; blend well.
8. Pour over batter in pan.
9. Carefully spoon preserves evenly over cheese filling.
10. Combine the reserved crumb mixture with sliced almonds and sprinkle over the top.
11. Bake for 50 minutes, check for doneness but may need up to 20 more minutes.
12. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Again you can use any type of jam you like for this. My favorite has always been raspberry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...