Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mexican Chicken Tacos

OH MY GOODNESS! I don't know why I don't make these more often! Not only are these ridiculously easy but they are RIDICULOUSLY GOOD!
This is a recipe that my mom had started making during my teenage years and I fell in love with them. These flavors in the cooking liquid is amazing that you don't even need to top your tacos with anything, unless of course you want to. The flavors remind me of a classic Mexican taco wagon. You know the ones I am talking about!
Cooking the meat in the crockpot allows the flavors to really develop in the meat while making the meat nice and tender, also making it easy to shred.
One thing I love about shredding meat is that it makes it go a long way. I did a pretty small roast and we will be eating this for leftovers for at least a few days. This is also a meal that warms up fantastic.
You will not be mad you tried this one out.
This is how my mom makes it. We do it a little differently so I will add my directions down below in my notes. They both taste great and pretty much the same.

4 Chicken Breasts
sea salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt
water 1-2 cups
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 can diced green chilies


1. Place chicken in crock pot and season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt.
2. Add water around chicken. (Don't pour on top or you will lose the seasonings you just put on)
3. Add 3/4 of the chopped onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and cilantro.
4. Let sit in crock pot on high for at least 4 hours or on low for 6-8.
5. About 30-1 hour before you want to eat it pull the chicken and shred the meat and place back in the crock pot for at least 30 minutes.
7. While shredded meat is soaking up all that yummy goodness take out a saute pan and saute the remaining chopped onion with 1/2 can diced chilies.

To Serve:
Place saute'd onions and chilies on large deep plate. Scoop out the meat with a bit of sauce and put it on top of the saute'd stuff.
~ Since you can't have the tortillas this meat is great alone with some beans and guacamole

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Okay this is how our recipes differ. We use the same ingredients only I am a little bit lazy with mine. Instead of saute'ing the onion and chilies and just throw them in the crock pot with everything else. I also use a whole can of the chilies cuz I don't like to waste food.
~ I usually like to just eat the meat plain with nothing else in with it, although I have been found to add some lime, extra cilantro, and onion from time to time.
~ I think you could totally do this recipe with chicken, in fact that may be something I need to try out!
~ Diet friends, I highly recommend if and when you get tomatoes added in that once the chicken is shredded adding in 1-2 TBSP of tomato powder into the broth. It adds a whole new dimension. Here is the link for the original recipe for these once you can start adding some basic foods back in. Pulled Pork Tacos

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...