Monday, March 17, 2014

Pie Crust

So a couple of days ago was "PIE DAY" (3.14) so while we were at the store and saw some beautiful strawberries I told my hubs that I would make us a fresh strawberry pie.
Anybody who knows me knows that I do NOT make pie. I have always been under the impression that it is super hard and time consuming and blah blah but then every time I make a pie I say to myself "self: why do you think this is hard? THIS IS EASY!"
Today I will share with you a recipe for a fantastic pie crust that I got from my mother in law. She makes the best pies I have ever eaten in my whole life and a lot has to do with this fantastic crust recipe. It is so flaky and perfect. Tomorrow I will share the recipe for the fantastic fresh strawberry filling to go inside!
ENJOY!


2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup + a dab of shortening
1/3 cup ICE cold water

1. Combine flour and salt in mixing bowl.
2. Cut in shortening until well combined (it will have about pea sized clumps in it)
3. Slowly sprinkle ICE cold water over mixture and mix with either a fork of your fingers to combine. Knead dough and separate into 2 balls.
4. Roll out one ball into a 12 inch circle.
5. To transfer to your greased pie tin, roll the dough onto your rolling pin.
6. One in pie tin, trim off excess dough leaving a little extra at the top.
7. Tuck the excess dough under to make it even with the rim (it will make the edges of the crust a little thicker which is nice cuz it will hold the filling in better and it also makes it easier to create a decorative edge)
8. At this point you can do whatever you fancy for an edge (I usually do a scalloped edge by taking your pointer finger and thumb of your left hand and pushing the dough one way and using your pointer finger of your right hand and pushing the opposite direction in between your left hands fingers.) Yes it sounds complicated but it isn't I promise.
9. Prick the bottom of your crust with a fork and bake at 450 for 8-10 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I usually fear my crust will burn so I line it with foil.
~ My crusts always bubble up so I put foil all over the whole thing and put either some dry beans or rice in it to give it a little weight. Works every time to keep it down. (And also stops it from burning)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...