Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Breakfast Quinoa


Now I am the first person to tell you that Quinoa is not one of my most favorite things to eat. After trying out a few different ways of having it for dinner and almost wanting the throw it right back up I decided to give it a chance for breakfast. I came across this recipe from one of my most favorite food sites skinnytaste.com and you know what...its actually good. Coming from me that is a pretty big statement because I can't stand the stuff to be honest. The first time I did this diet and did quinoa for breakfast I did everything I could think of to just choke the stuff down. Needless to say I never really looked forward to waking up and eating because I hated it so much.
BUT NOW...I have found this fantastic recipe that makes it taste a lot like cracked wheat cereal. And of course, is anti-inflammatory diet friendly. Enjoy!



1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup warmed unsweetened almond milk
1 gala apple, peeled and diced
1/4 cup pecans, chopped


1. Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.
2. Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, and pour in warmed milk. Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If and when you are allowed to use some dehydrated fruits...try adding some delicious golden raisins in at the end as well. They really made the dish pop for me.
~ Make sure that you rinse your quinoa off very well. If you don't, it tends to have a bitter flavor which just makes it plain old nasty. Maybe that was my problem before?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...