Friday, August 23, 2013

Stuffing

I know it isn't Thanksgiving yet, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about eating a giant turkey and stuffing right now. Maybe it's because we have been trying to figure out who's house we will go to for Thanksgiving this year.
I get asked for this recipe A LOT. I also get asked to make it for every Thanksgiving, or to go along with any turkey dinner. Its a recipe that I believe has been passed down through my mom's family. It is a good old fashioned stuffing. No crazy ingredients. Just basic, amazing stuffing.
I personally like to let mine get all crunchy on top, some would call it burned, but I call it crunchy goodness!

8 cups dry bread
4 TBSP onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
3/4 tsp. sage dried or 1 1/2 tsp fresh, minced
1/3 cup melted butter
1-1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. In a large mixing bowl add the dry bread.

3. Add chopped onion, celery, salt, poultry seasoning, and sage.

4. Pour the melted butter over the top and gently stir to coat (I personally always use my hands because I can be more careful)

5. Slowly add the chicken broth in batches and stir after each one. You want to add just enough broth to soften the bread, but not make it soggy. (If you break your own bread, usually you have bigger pieces that soak up more broth, if you buy the store bought little squares you may not need as much).

6. Pour bread mixture into a glass baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and allow to crisp up for another 15-30 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ For the bread, I ALWAYS tear mine by hand, it's a bit of an OCD thing of mine, it has to be hand torn. BUT it really doesn't have to be for this recipe, it's just how I like it. I also ALWAYS use half white bread and half wheat bread, but again, any bread will work fine.
~ I generally use fresh sage in this dish with a few extra dashes of the dried just to make sure it's got that delicious sage flavor. Growing up it was always made with dried sage, so if that is all you have on hand, that is totally fine.
~ Don't have any chicken broth? No problem, just use water with a TBSP of chicken bullion mixed into it. 
~ Want to make this in advance? GREAT! I love doing this as it saves time if using it as a side for a holiday. I have made this a couple of days in advance and just stored in the fridge. Pull it out roughly 30 minutes before you want to bake so that it can come to room temperature and then continue baking as usual.
~ Don't cringe, but sometimes for a bit of extra added flavor (and fat) I will use half the amount of butter and then use bacon grease for the remaining amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...