Friday, August 23, 2013

Stuffing

I know it isn't Thanksgiving yet, but for some reason I can't stop thinking about eating a giant turkey and stuffing right now. Maybe it's because we have been trying to figure out who's house we will go to for Thanksgiving this year.
I get asked for this recipe A LOT. I also get asked to make it for every Thanksgiving, or to go along with any turkey dinner. Its a recipe that I believe has been passed down through my mom's family. It is a good old fashioned stuffing. No crazy ingredients. Just basic, amazing stuffing.
I personally like to let mine get all crunchy on top, some would call it burned, but I call it crunchy goodness!


8 cups dry bread
1/3 cup melted butter &/or bacon grease
1-1 1/2 cup water with 1 1/2 tsp chicken bouillon
4 TBSP minced onion
1/2 stalk celery
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
3/4 tsp. sage

1. In a large mixing bowl add the dry bread. Pour the melted butter and/or bacon grease over the top. Add enough water to soften the bread. (If you break your own bread, usually you have bigger pieces that soak up more water, if you buy the store bought little squares you may not need as much). Mix it with your hands or spoon until all bread is coated with water. Let it sit for a few minutes. Check it after a few minutes and see if you need to add more water. *I like to have my bread not quite to the point of being squishy soggy, I like it to have a little umph left in it.*
2. Add remaining ingredients; onion, salt, poultry seasoning, sage, and celery.
3. Mix to combine ingredients, I usually use my hands. You don't want to over mix because your bread will start to fall apart.
4. Put in glass baking dish and bake at 350 for 1-1 1/2 hours. If you don't like your stuffing crunchy cover it with foil, and check it at the 1 hour. If you like it more crunchy on the outside leave it uncovered and still check it at the 1 hour.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~I usually end up just using some chicken stock from the can instead of using water. It helps to add a little more flavor into the stuffing.
~ And I have now come to ADORE fresh sage with a little of the dried. I will usually do about half and half.
~ You can also just shove this stuff into the actual turkey to cook.
~ If you don't have any dry bread around the house but still want to make some, you can just tear up whatever bread you have around the house and throw it on a cookie sheet and put it in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until it dries out.
~ I also have come to love using wheat bread with just a little bit of white bread mixed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...