Monday, August 5, 2013

Amazing Dutch Oven Chicken

This recipe is one that was given to my mother. She had begged and begged for years to get this recipe from a lady in her ward. It has been passed down to all of us children and I'll tell you what...it is definitely a recipe worth passing down! My favorite pairings with this is dutch oven potatoes and dutch oven cheesy veggies and then a chocolate raspberry cobbler for dessert....ohhhhhhhh how I miss big family get togethers. I may have to request us doing all of these recipes when I go for a visit!
If you haven't ever given dutch oven cooking a shot you absolutely should! It is simple and the flavor that develops in the food is absolutely amazing. When I say its simple I mean it. Every year when I was at Girls Camp growing up I was always in charge of putting together the big dinner for when the Bishopric would come up. The meal I made was always dutch oven chicken and potatoes! So if I could do it as a young 12 year old, then Im sure just about anybody can!


3 lbs of fryer chicken, cut into serving sized pieces

1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp savory sauce or (Heinz 57 sauce)
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp accent(optional)
1 1/2 tsp paprika
3/4 cup flour

*For 50 pieces of chicken 3x top and 6x bottom*

1. Mix top set of ingredients and pour over chicken. cover and let marinate at least 1 hour.
2. Drain chicken and coat with bottom ingredients. Put on tin foil and let stand one hour.
3. Heat oil to 360 in dutch oven. If you need extra liquid while cooking I would suggest using a can of sprite, possibly more if you are cooking a lot!
4. Fry chicken 20-30 minutes or until tender and brown, turn pieces with tongs several times during cooking. Drain. Remove to absorbent paper. Temperature of oil should be brought to 360 again before adding more chicken.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Adding the sprite into the dutch oven helps to keep the batter crispy when cooking a large batch of chicken. You don't want to use just straight oil because that would just make everything suuuuuuuper greasy.
~ The savory sauce is a very specific sauce. The woman who made up the recipe used to get it from this restaurant down in LA. My mom ordered it by the case load and always has some on hand down in her basement. I will have to get the restaurant name, but since I never have it around I always just use the Heinz 57 sauce instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...