Thursday, August 29, 2013

Glazed Cinnamon Scones

I am one of those people who is not a baker. I don't have the patience to let yeast rise to make bread or rolls or any other gluten filled goodness. Me and my husband both LOVE cinnamon rolls but I personally just don't have the patience to make them so when I saw this recipe pop up on my Pinterest I knew that we would be in love. Why had I never thought of making a cinnamon scone?!
These seriously tasted just like a cinnamon roll...well a cinnamon roll biscuit?! I don't know. Obviously it isn't going to taste exactly like a cinnamon roll because it isn't a cinnamon roll, but it has all of the best components of a cinnamon roll and thats what I like to see. These hardly took any time to make and I had all the ingredients on hand, so we had a wonderful breakfast dinner (my favorite)


This recipe came from a blog called Money Saving Mom. I haven't really looked around it to much but the title of the blog is catchy enough to have my interest peaked to want to look around a bit. Who doesn't want to save a little money on their grocery bill?! Plus, this recipe was great so I will have to check out her site again! Check it out!

Scone Ingredients:
2 cups flour (I used unbleached, but you could use half whole-wheat, half unbleached)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, separated
3 Tablespoons honey
1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice)

Crumb Topping (can be adjusted to your liking):
1-2 Tablespoons turbinado (or sugar)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Glaze Ingredients (can be adjusted to your liking):
1 cup powdered sugar (you can make your own homemade unprocessed powered sugar)
1-3 teaspoons milk (enough to make a glaze)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
2. Separate the egg white and yolk. Set the egg white aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mix egg yolk, honey and buttermilk (or milk/lemon juice mixture). Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Form dough into a ball on a floured surface. Roll or pat out to half an inch in thickness and eight inches in diameter. Cut into eight equally-sized pieces.
5. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Whisk the egg white until froth forms and brush over the tops of scones. Mix turbinado and cinnamon together and sprinkle over egg-white-topped scones.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
7. Mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until glaze forms. Drizzle over scones after they bake.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When putting them on the baking sheet you can put them as close together as you want or as far apart as you want. They don't really rise or change their shape to much.
~ I think next time I will add a little cinnamon into the dough mixture, just to give it a little bit of flavor.
~ The dough seemed a little dry for me. I had crumbles falling apart all over the place while trying to mix it together. I will add a little bit more buttermilk or butter next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...