Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Chinese Fried Rice

I love fried rice. I love it because it can be a side dish or a main dish. It can have a lot of ingredients, or just a little. This is such a versatile recipe.
Lately I have been making a lot of Asian inspired recipes so why not have a side dish to go with them? Fried rice is always my go to, because I always have a little bit of this and that in my fridge that can be turned into this!
Next time you are unsure what to have with your Asian inspired main dish, try this as a side.



3/4 cup finely chopped onion
2 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 egg, lightly beaten (or more eggs if you like)
3 drops soy sauce
3 drops sesame oil
8 ounces cooked lean boneless pork or 8 ounces chicken, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (very small)
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
4 cups cold cooked rice, grains separated (preferably medium grain)
4 green onions, chopped
2 cups bean sprouts
2 tablespoons light soy sauce (add more if you like)


1.Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add chopped onions and stir-fry until onions are cooked to your liking; remove from wok.
2. Allow wok to cool slightly.
3. Mix egg with 3 drops of soy and 3 drops of sesame oil; set aside.
4. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to wok, swirling to coat surfaces; add egg mixture; working quickly, swirl egg until egg sets against wok; when egg puffs, flip egg and cook other side briefly; remove from wok, and chop into small pieces.
5. Heat 1 tbsp oil in wok; add selected meat to wok, along with carrots, peas, and cooked onion; stir-fry for 2 minutes.
6. Add rice, green onions, and bean sprouts, tossing to mix well; stir-fry for 3 minutes.
7. Add 2 tbsp of light soy sauce and chopped egg to rice mixture and fold in; stir-fry for 1 minute more; serve.
8. Set out additional soy sauce on the table, if desired.
Chopped Cabbage (optional)

Freezer Instructions:

Put cooked rice into either a ziplock bag and lay flat in the freezer or put cooked rice into an oven safe container.
To cook from frozen from the bag simply hit the bag on the counter a few times to break up the rice and saute in a large pan until heated through. To cook from thawed simply put ingredient in pan and heat through.
To cook from frozen in container you can either break it up with a knife and saute as above or you can bake in oven from frozen at 350 anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and half. The depth of your dish will determine how long it needs to be in the oven for. To cook from thawed bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or saute.


**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When using as a side dish I usually don't add any meat to it.
~ I usually just use half a bag of mixed frozen peas and carrots so I don't have to chop them up. So far they have worked fantastic.
~ I also like to add a little bit of purple and green cabbage for crunch and color. I would add it in with the rice and bean sprouts.
~ Anybody who knows me knows that I could drink a bottle of soy sauce, so I tend to add A LOT more into my rice.
~ If you are scared to cook your egg in the wok, because it can burn fast, you can always just do your egg in a separate pan. I usually do this because I haven't totally mastered the art of cooking with woks!
~ Also, I haven't tried this with quinoa instead of rice, but I have seen a lot of fried quinoa recipes that are very similar. Somebody please give it a try and let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...