Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Hawaiian Haystacks

You know. I hadn't had these in forever! And you know what....I don't know why!!!
This is one of the easiest and fastest meals to throw together with a bunch of leftovers!
Something I love about these is that you combine everything on the fork to make one perfect bite! Plate licking is always acceptable with this type of meal. Enjoy!


1 pound shredded or chunked chicken
1 can chicken broth
2 cans cream of chicken soup
cooked rice

Toppings (optional):
chow mein noodles
pineapple chunks
tomatoes
celery
green pepper
green onion
cheese
coconut
sliced almonds

1. There are several ways that you can prepare the chicken. My favorite way is to just use leftover shredded chicken from when I get them at Costco already cooked. Nice and easy.
You could also throw a couple chicken breasts in the oven and flavor them with some parsley, basil, salt and pepper. 350 for about 30 minutes.
2. When done shredding chicken set it aside and work on the sauce. Combine the chicken broth and the cream of chicken soup in a pot and bring to a boil. Then let simmer to thicken. 5 minutes. Add the chicken to the soup mixture.
3. Pour soup mixture over rice on each plate and top with whatever toppings you like.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I personally love it with the cheese, green onion, green pepper, tomato, and chow mein noodles.
~ If you don't think you will need that much soup mixture just use one can of the cream of chicken. I did this last time and it came out great. I did personally add a little bit of dried parsley to it as well.
~ I've never actually made this in the crockpot but I know lots of people that do. You would just combine the soup and broth and chicken and let it cook till it was heated through. My guess would be a couple of hours on low or 1 on high? That could be way off so if somebody does try it in the crockpot please let me know some good cooking times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...