Thursday, October 17, 2013

Classic Tinfoil Dinner

You know, tinfoil dinners are one of my favorites. There are a few reasons why I absolutely love them
1- EASY
2- No dishes to clean up
3- scrumptious!
These are my favorite thing to make when we are camping but they are also one of my favorite things to just have at home. You don't have to have a big fire or a tent pitched to eat these babies. I love that these dinners are so versatile. Not only can you throw whatever sounds good in a packet and it will almost always come out amazing, but you can cook it so many different ways as well.
Here is how I did my basic basic classic tinfoil dinner last night!
(Oh and I apologize for the REALLY bad photo. I forgot to snap a couple pictures last night since I wasn't here to eat it when it came out of the oven so I took a photo of what the leftovers looked like lol...sorry!)



1 lb. ground beef
4-5 potatoes, sliced thing
1/2 onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped thin
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt
pepper
onion salt
garlic salt

Tinfoil

*I like to try to make 4 dinners out of one pound of beef. I fill it with more veggies or do another side to make up for the smaller amount*
*You will be doing 2 layers of potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots in each packet so don't use TO many the first time*

1. Split your beef into either 3 or 4 even patties. Lay your patty in the center of a long piece of foil.
2. Sprinkle each patty with salt, pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt (or powder). Top each patty with some cheese.
3. Put a layer of potatoes on top of the cheese (This helps the cheese not stick to the foil and stay on the food.)
4. Sprinkle a little bit of salt, pepper, onion salt, and garlic salt or powder on top of the potatoes. Add some garlic, onion, and carrots. Top with a little more cheese.
5. Repeat. Although the second time around I usually only add a little salt and pepper as I don't want it to be to over powering with the salt.
6. After everything is in, take your two longest sides of the foil and pull them together. slowly roll them down tight till you hit the food. Then go to your sides. Fold each corner in to form a triangle and then roll it in tight. (You want to make sure you fold the corners in ESPECIALLY when you cook it in the fire. This helps the juices stay in a lot better then if you just roll the sides. When cooking in the oven I usually just fold them all up nice and square.)
7. If cooking in the fire add a second layer of the tinfoil, just in case it rips when turning it. Don't throw it in the middle of the fire on the flames but put it on some of the hotter areas without flame. Let it cook for a good 30 minutes turning a few times. Using the grill I usually do the same method of wrapping it twice and cooking it on a low to medium flame and even sometimes up on the second rack if I think its cooking to fast.
*I personally usually cook them in the oven. 350 for 30 minutes.*
8. When opening the foil be careful because that steam is HOT!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Again, this recipe is so versatile. Don't like ground beef? No problem swap it out for ground chicken or turkey, beef chunks, chicken, pork chop...anything! I've added all sorts of veggies...parsnips, peppers, corn, beans...anything! I've also done them bbq style by adding in some bbq sauce...seriously! So versatile.
~ Diet friends. If you want to make a similar version just use ground turkey or chicken. You can swap out the potatoes for sweet potatoes. And leave off the cheese. I love adding parsnips when I can find some good ones as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...