Thursday, October 3, 2013

Cranberry Almond Bread

For some reason I can't seem to get Christmas goodie cooking out of my head. Maybe it's because the weather is finally starting to cool down (90's).
I was putting up my Halloween decorations a couple days ago and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about this bread. I make this bread every Christmas to pass out as neighbor gifts. I have been asked for this recipe quite a few times so here it is finally.
I originally had this bread at a Christmas get together with all my aunts and uncles on my dad's side of the family. I have this aunt who is the most creative and fantastic sweets maker ever. In fact most of my holiday sweets ideas have come from her. Anyway, its been a family tradition ever since to make this at Christmas time. And its a great way to use up those leftover bags of cranberries you bought to make cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.
I think my favorite part about this bread is the icing that goes on top. The almond flavoring pairs so perfectly with the orange and cranberry flavors. MMM MMM MMM I can't wait till the Christmas season so I can make some!

2 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup + 2TBSP butter, softened
3 tsp almond extract
6 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 cups flour
2 cups fresh cranberries
sliced almonds

For the icing:
1/4 cup orange concentrate
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar

1. Preheat your oven to 325.
2. Combine sugar, butter, and almond extract. Mix well.
3. Add eggs and sour cream. Mix well.
4. Add water and mix well.
5. Add baking powder, salt, baking soda, and flour. (I usually add it in a couple different batches to make sure that it mixes in well.)
6. Fold in the cranberries.
7. (You could add some almonds into the bread as well)
8. Spray a bundt pan and pour batter in. Top with sliced almonds.
9. Bake for 1 hour - 1 hour and 15 minutes (until done)
10. Cool in bundt pan for 45 minutes (letting it cool in the pan helps it to release the bread better when flipping it over.
11. While bread is cooling mix up the icing.
12. Once your bread is cooled and flipped out of the ban, drizzle the icing all over the top and top with additional almonds if you want.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Now I have made these in large bread pans, small bread pans, even as muffins before. So depending on what size of pan you use you will need to adjust the time its in the oven. For some reason I never wrote down any of my cooking times for the smaller loaves so I will have to make sure and do that this year!
~ If you can't find the butter flavoring just add melted butter.
~ I have also put a little bit of orange zest into the bread before and it was great.
~ I have made these and had to many and ended up freezing them and they tasted just fine. Just wrap them up nice and tight. When ready to unthaw I would unwrap at least the top so that the glaze doesn't just stick to the wrapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...