Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Foil Pack Chicken Fajitas


I like to prepare this dish in the morning or during my breaks, stick them in the fridge, and then when I get home I can just pop it in the oven. This is one of my favorite meals to make. Its easy, fast and has basically everything you need for the whole meal in this cute little packet.
**UPDATE**I have recently started making these with quinoa instead of the instant rice and I LOVE it! If you are cooking for a crowd try throwing it all in a big glass baking dish and just cooking it for a little bit longer. It will be fantastic and they will love it!



1-1/2 cups instant white rice, uncooked
1-1/2 cups hot water
1 TBSP Taco Seasoning Mix
4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 lb.)
1 each green and red pepper, cut into strips
1/2 cup Salsa
1/2 cup Mexican Style Finely Shredded Taco Cheese

1.Heat oven to 400ºF.
2.Fold up all sides of each of 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil to form 1-inch rim; spray with cooking spray. Combine rice, water and taco seasoning; spoon onto foil. Top with remaining ingredients.
3.Bring up foil sides. Double fold top and ends to seal each packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside. Place in 15x10x1-inch pan.
4.Bake 30 to 35 min. or until chicken is done (165ºF). Let stand 5 min. Cut slits in foil to release steam before opening packets.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~So I don't ever have instant rice on hand so I start off by cooking 1 cup rice, 2 cups water, and then add some of the taco seasoning. I only let the rice cook about half way and let it finish cooking in the oven. I do add a litte bit of water into the packet to help finish the rice off and steam the food.
~I also love using all colors of peppers, especially orange ones.
~To help season the chicken I add leftover taco seasoning on top along with s&p
~Make sure you don't put the cheese on the very top. If you do this you will have a gooey mess on the foil and no cheese on the food. I put the cheese on the chicken and then the peppers on top.
~I have also tried making this dish up to a day before baking it and it has tasted just the same.
**To make these diet approved simply replace the rice with some quinoa. I cook it the exact same way as the rice that isn't instant. Also, leave off the cheese and salsa, which granted I realize pretty much makes it a fajita but it is still good and has great flavor with the quinoa. 
~ For the taco seasoning make sure you check the ingredients. I know the McCormick kind has a couple of iffy ingredients. If you don't have one that can be used, or don't have any period try using this recipe for Taco Seasoning...it is fantastic

1 TBSP chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper

4 comments:

  1. HEY! I'm excited to try some of these. Welcome to the world of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks keri! i hope i can keep up with it lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is delicious! Thanks for posting :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! This is one of my go to recipes when I want something easy and good!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...