Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Fiesta Chicken Enchiladas


This is by far my favorite chicken enchiladas recipe. They are a dry enchilada instead of covered in gooey sauce. I make these enchiladas probably once a month and whenever I am asked to take food to somebody this is almost always what I end up taking to them. BTW I usually get asked for the recipe afterwards so you should give it a try!



1 small onion,chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. (about 4 small) cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded **Check my notes about chicken**
1 cup Salsa, divided
4 oz. (1/2 of 8-oz. pkg.) Cream Cheese, cubed
1 TBSP. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup Shredded Cheddar & Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
8 flour tortillas (6 inch)

1.Heat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat large skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 2 min. Add chicken, 1/4 cup salsa, cream cheese, cilantro and cumin; mix well. Cook 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese; mix well.
3. Spoon about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up. Place, seam-sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
4. Top with remaining salsa and shredded cheese.
5. Bake 15 to 20 min. or until heated through.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~Okay I have done the shredded chicken breasts two different ways. Both tasting really good.
1.The first way is to just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred some of it up.
2.The second way is a little side recipe for perfect grilled chicken.
For this you marinate chicken breasts in Kraft Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing (I have also used the Lawrys Mexican Chile and Lime). Then grill until done, or as I do it since I don't have a grill, Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Then I just shred up whatever chicken is left over from this meal to make these enchiladas. Confusing...I hope not :S
~I also love love LOVE cilantro so I add a lot more then what this recipe calls for.
~ For a spicier flavor, add 1 drained 4-oz. can chopped green chiles to the filling mixture before spooning onto tortillas.

**Freezer Instructions**
~ Follow steps up until step 4.
~ For easier freezing make sure you place enchiladas in a freezer safe, oven safe dish.
~ After enchiladas are thawed out, top with salsa and cheese.
~ Bake as directed, 350 for 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...