Friday, December 20, 2019

Sugar Cookies

Sugar cookies are my families absolute favorite cookies ever. Maybe it's because they are one of the only cookies that I can actually make without massacring.
Usually I stick to making sugar cookies ONLY for Valentines day (big family tradition) but this year for our friend and neighbor gifts we decided to make these sugar cookies. This sugar cookie recipe has been in my family for a long time! Everybody in my family uses this recipe, especially to make our giant valentines day hearts, so in my humble opinion, it is the best recipe out there. 
Now there is a big debate about whether sugar cookies should be crisp or soft. I personally am a soft sugar cookie lover so I make mine thicker and cook for less time. So you will have to make them and let me know whether you are a crisp or soft lover!
*Also, I have a frosting recipe included that I always use as well*

For the Cookies:
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt

*I like to make these cookies in my Kitchenaid with the paddle attachment.*
1. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together until smooth.
2. In a separate medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt and then stir to combine. Add in batches to the butter mixture.
3. To check if dough is ready pinch a little bit between your fingers. If it sticks A LOT then add a little more flour until it doesn't stick to much to your fingers. *Generally I don't have to add anymore flour though*
4. Form a ball with the dough, place in a bowl, cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but better if it sits for an hour.
5. To make the cookies, dust your counter (make sure its very clean) with flour and roll out your dough to your desired thickness. (I usually roll mine about a quarter inch, or even a little thicker). 6. Using whatever shape you desire cut out your dough and place them on a cookie sheet, roughly an inch apart.
7. Bake at 400 for 6-8 minutes depending on your desired doneness and the thickness of your cookies. Before pulling from the oven, I lift one of the cookies from the middle and check the bottom, if it is just starting to get color then it is done for a soft cookie. For a crisp cookie you will want it to be a nice golden brown on the bottom.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
9. Frost and enjoy!

*Makes roughly 24 cookies (based on 3 inch rounds)

Frosting Recipe:
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
dash of salt
(blend those ingredients with a mixer) then add
2 TBSP-1/4 cup milk or cream
splash of vanilla
(blend again)

Taste to see if its how you like it. I would start by adding just a little milk and then adding more to get your desired thickness or thinness. If it tastes to much like powdered sugar add a little more butter and vanilla.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ These cookies freeze great after cooked. I will sometimes double or triple my batch and then freeze the extra for later in the year. I don't usually freeze with the frosting on, but I don't see why you couldn't.
~ If you want to make a giant heart shaped cookie like I do at Valentines day (or other fun shape) lower the oven temperature to 350 and cook for 10-14 minutes for a full sheet cookie or 8-10 minutes for a smaller to medium sized cookie. If making the large valentine cookie, I usually double the recipe so that I am sure to have enough.

6 comments:

  1. Amazing how you were able to pattern it after the Independence day celebration. I always wanted to learn how to make stuff like that and not just bake for the sake of baking but also to design it into something attractive.
    - KatzGlutenFree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Rachel! I find it a lot more enjoyable to bake around holiday's because the decorating can be fun. This idea was simple enough that I could handle, so I figured most everybody else could to!

      Delete
  2. What kind of flour did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use just regular old all purpose unbleached flour. If you have a gluten problem I would suggest trying almond flour. I also like to sift my flour myself to add a little extra air into it, so I measure the flour before sifting.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for posting this! I used this recipe for Christmas cookies, and they were a HUGE hit :o) Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I just made another batch of these for Valentines day and they were AMAZING! haha. Im glad you liked them!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...