Monday, December 23, 2019

Banana Bread

You know those recipes that you have had forever? This is one of mine. I have had this recipe since before I got married and it shows. The printed version of this recipe is covered in splatters and all sorts of goop, which means it's well loved. As Christmas draws near I find myself in the baking mood. Every Christmas I bounce between a few different ideas for friend and neighbor gifts and this banana bread is one of those that I use. This recipe is one that I have been making for years and years and absolutely love it. Now, I don't only make this at Christmas time, I make it anytime I have bananas that need to be used up.
3/4 cup shortening
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup ripe bananas (roughly 3-4), mashed
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup chocolate chips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine shortening and sugar.

3. Add eggs, one at a time, until well combined.

4. Add vanilla and mashed bananas, mix.

5. Add all dry ingredients and mix to combine. If adding nuts or chocolate chips, gently fold those into the batter at this point.

6. Spray and line two large loaf pans with parchment paper.

7. Pour batter evenly between the two pans and place in preheated oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes.

8. Bread is done when you can stick a toothpick in and it comes back out clear.

9. Remove bread from pans by turning the pan upside down or lifting the parchment paper out of the pan.

10. Allow to cool slightly, if you can resist, before cutting. Cutting into the hot bread will result in the bread being more crumbly.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Don't have any vanilla? That's okay. It tastes great without any added at all. I have also used almond extract in it's place. The possibilities are endless.
~ If you don't have large loaf pans this will make roughly 3-4 smaller loaf pans. I would lower the temperature for smaller pans down to 325 and bake for 30-40 minutes.
~ I like mine served warm with butter!
~ If you don't have shortening, you can replace equal parts of butter. I have done this and although the bread still tastes good, I personally like it better with the shortening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...