Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Anti-Inflammatory Lettuce Wraps

I love lettuce wraps. They make me feel like I am doing something good for my body, and everybody else in my family loves them as well. Double win for me. I know I have another lettuce wraps recipe on the blog already, but this one is one that we have been making a lot lately because it is full of ingredients that are anti-inflammatory. I honestly can't decide which recipe I like better. I guess you can decide if you make both of them 😁
One thing I love about this recipe is that yes it has meat in it, but it's also loaded with minced up mushrooms, which helps stretch the meat without you even realizing it's mushrooms. My daughter HATES and I mean HATES mushrooms. If we get a supreme pizza with mushrooms on it, even if we pick them off, she won't eat it because the sauce and bread take on the flavor of the once placed mushroom. True story. BUT...she loves this recipe. Gobbles it up every stinking time! Of course, I don't tell her there are mushrooms in it until after she has already consumed a massive plate full and every time she gets mad at me and tells me she hates mushrooms, and yet I continue making it, and she continues to enjoy it. 😏😏


1 TBSP olive oil
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1 cup baby bella mushrooms minced
3 cloves garlic minced
1 pound ground chicken or turkey
1/2 cup shredded carrots
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 TBSP almond butter
2 tsp freshly grated ginger or 1 tsp dried ginger
1 TBSP coconut aminos Garlic Sauce
1/4 cup slivered almonds
3 green onions thinly sliced, 1 tablespoon reserved for garnish
1 head Bibb lettuce leaves gently removed from stem

Sauce:
1/4 cup coconut aminos
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp coconut aminos Garlic Sauce

Garnishes
sesame seeds
thinly sliced green onions

1. I like to begin all recipes by pulling out all ingredients and getting them prepped, that way when I am looking at the recipe I just need to add them when it's time, rather then lose my place after chopping something. So begin by prepping all ingredients.

2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onions and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften.

3. Add the mushrooms and allow to cook an additional 2 minutes.

4. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds or just until it becomes fragrant.

5. Add the ground chicken and cook until browned making sure to break it apart into smaller pieces as it cooks. (I like to use a metal potato masher whenever I break up meat)

6. When meat is cooked, add the carrots and season with salt and pepper.

7. While carrots soften, combine coconut aminos, sesame oil, vinegar, almond butter, ginger, and garlic sauce. (These are listed in the main ingredients NOT THE SAUCE INGREDIENTS). Whisk and pour over the meat mixture.

8. Stir to combine and add the slivered almonds and green onions. Allow to cook for 1-2 minutes and then remove from heat.

9. Make the sauce by mixing all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.

10. When serving, add meat mixture to the center of the lettuce leaf and drizzle a little bit of the sauce mixture over the top. Garnish with desired toppings.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I like to buy THIS 3 pack from Amazon when doing Anti-Inflammatory foods. It comes with the Coconut Aminos Original, the Garlic Sauce, and a Teriyaki Sauce.
~ Sometimes I don't like making a mess while I eat these so I will shred my lettuce up and turn this into a salad and use the sauce as a dressing. Works great!
- If not on the antiinflammatory diet I would replace the apple cider vinegar with rice wine vinegar.
~ If you are not following an anti-inflammatory diet, you can replace the garlic sauce with siracha sauce or chili garlic sauce and can also replace the coconut aminos with soy sauce, although I would add less of each of these because they are more intense in flavor then the coconut aminos ingredients. You could also substitute ground pork for this recipe as well if not following the anti-inflammatory diet.
~ Water chestnuts would also be a GREAT addition to this recipe, if you're into that kind of thing. I personally have major issues with them but I know a lot of people like them!

This recipe has been adapted from 40 Aprons

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...