Friday, September 13, 2019

Corn Bread


This recipe has been in my family for years. It's one of those recipes that just brings comfort every time I eat it. Maybe I am biased either with my taste or with the fact that it's a recipe that has been around forever, BUT I feel like this is the best recipe out there :)
 It's just simple. It doesn't have the bits of chunky corn or jalapeno in it (which I personally am not a fan of, but I know some people like). If you like those things, no biggie, just add them in, but don't tell me.
If I am making this recipe for a gathering of people, say for a Chili Cook Off, then I tend to pour the batter into muffin tins instead so that it is easier for others to eat with their chili!

Growing up I always used my own "sour milk" instead of using buttermilk, mainly because we never had it at home. As of the past few years I usually had some buttermilk in my fridge and guess what...it makes allllll the difference. Now don't get me wrong, using sour milk (adding vinegar to regular milk and letting it sit) is still good, but the buttermilk makes it soooo moist and really gives it that sweet flavor.

2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup oil (I like to use coconut oil, but any oil will work just fine)

1. Preheat oven to 400°F and grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, sugar and buttermilk together.
3. Next, add the remaining ingredients of flour, cornmeal, salt, baking soda, and oil.
4. Whisk until moistened and well combined.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes. (Check on it every now and then. If you notice the top is becoming to brown, simply place a piece of tin foil over the top to prevent burning.)

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If making these as muffins, I would check them after 15 minutes.
~ To make this freezer friendly I like to make these in cupcake liners, bake, cool and freeze. Pull them out of the freezer as many as you like and stick in microwave until heated through.
~ I personally like to smother my pieces in butter and honey, but I have seen so many different toppings for it. I believe my sister uses corn syrup??!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...