Monday, September 16, 2019

Baked Beans

This recipe brings back such good memories. My husband and I love to camp. When we were first married we camped all the time and this was one of our favorite meals to prepare over the fire.
I don't do much cooking over the fire anymore for this recipe and instead use my handy dandy oven ;) but whenever I eat this it does remind me of those days.
This is seriously one of my favorite recipes because it is so versatile. I've made it with pork chops, with ground hamburger, and with hot dogs (yes we are very healthy at our house😁). This is also my all time favorite meal to make as a freezer meal. It warms up so well and tastes like it was never in the freezer.


I actually have two different baked beans recipes that I bounce between but as of right now this is the one I have been making the most. Mainly because I always have the things on hand for this recipe and for the other one I sometimes don't have them. I got this particular recipe from my amazing mother in law.


1 32 oz can pork and beans or two small ones.
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 chopped onion
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP mustard
1/2 tsp liquid smoke (could use some bbq sauce in place)
salt & pepper to taste

OPTIONALS:
1 lb lean ground beef, browned and drained
hot dogs sliced, approx. 1 lb.
4 pork chops, bone in, browned and seasoned with salt and pepper on stove.

1. Preheat over to 350°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients together.
3. Pour ingredients into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
*When adding any optional meats such as the beef or hot dogs simply brown them and stir directly into the beans. For the pork chops I season and brown them and lay them on top of the beans, or you can push them down a bit into the liquid to get flavor all around.
4. Bake uncovered for 1 hour.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I usually make a double batch of this and put into two separate pans. With the second pan I do not bake. I cover and put in the freezer. When ready to use simply un-thaw and bake as normal.
~ You could also do this in the crockpot instead of in the oven. Low for 6-8 hours or High for 3-4 hours.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious post, isn't it? :D
    Do you think Dairy Display Fridge is the ideal one to keep these?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...