Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Carne Asada Fries

GUYS!!!! Oh man. I had this baby last night and had to jump on today to share it with you. The marinade on this steak is amazing and paired with the guac and fries just takes it over the edge.
One thing I have decided lately is that everything is better served on top of fries. We went to a little mom and pop sandwich place a couple weeks ago and they suggested that we try the fillings on top of fries instead of in the sandwich buns and holy smokes. It was so much better, and we all know how much I loves me some bread! So for me to say it was better on fries is saying a lot.
This recipe is simple, fast, and screams Southern California lovin. One thing I miss about living there is the amazing carne asada you could pick up pretty much everywhere. I'm here to tell ya that this is a great recipe if you want to get that So Cal vibe in your home for a meal. It won't let you down.


3/4 bunch cilantro chopped
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
1 TBSP cumin
1 tsp Kosher salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
Zest and juice of one lime
One flank steak (about 1.5 pounds)
1-28 ounce bag frozen French fries
1/2 lime, zest and juice
shredded cheese (any blend will be great)
Guacamole
sour cream for garnish (optional and not necessary in my opinion but I don't like the stuff lol)

1. Prepare the marinade for flank steak by combining the cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, olive oil, lime zest, and lime juice in a small mixing bowl.
2. Place the flank steak into a large resealable bag and add the marinade. Make sure to squish the marinade around the steak so that it is well coated.
3. Place bag in the fridge for at least an hour but I prefer around 3-4 hours because it allows more time for the flavors to absorb into the steak.
4. When ready to cook, pull out your fries and prepare as the directions state on the bag.
5. While the fries are cooking, heat your grill to high heat and cook roughly 5 minutes per side (times will vary based on the thickness of your steak and how you prefer your meat to be cooked on the inside). When the steak is done allow it to rest 5-10 minutes before cutting into bite sized pieces to allow the juices to stay in the meat.
6. When the fries are done pull from the oven and top with a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice and zest from half the lime, along with salt.
7. When ready to eat place warm fries on plate and add cheese. Place sliced steak on top to help get the cheese nice and melty and serve with fresh made guacamole on top!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I personally am not a fan of sour cream so you will almost never see me recommend having it as a garnish. I only had homemade guac on mine and I'm telling you that's all it needs in my book. Unless you make awful guacamole, then you may need it ;)
~ When I cooked my steak I cooked it more on the rare side, which isn't a typical way of cooking carne asada in Southern California. Usually it is cooked through and minced to pieces. We, however, like our steak medium and not massacred so we made sure to cook it to our personal preferences.

Recipe adapted from The Sam Live Cast.

1 comment:

  1. Oh thank you very much for this unique, salty and delicious recipe. I liked it in the photo you shared. My kids love potato and i think it will add some taste to potato.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...