Monday, August 26, 2019

Pulled Pork Tacos

OH MY GOODNESS! I don't know why I don't make these more often! Not only are these ridiculously easy but they are RIDICULOUSLY GOOD!
This is a recipe that my mom had started making during my teenage years and I fell in love with them. These flavors in the cooking liquid is amazing that you don't even need to top your tacos with anything, unless of course you want to. The flavors remind me of a classic Mexican taco wagon. You know the ones I am talking about!
Cooking the meat in the slow cooker allows the flavors to really develop in the meat while making the meat nice and tender, also making it easy to shred.
One thing I love about shredding meat is that it makes it go a long way. I did a pretty small roast and we will be eating this for leftovers for at least a few days. This is also a meal that warms up fantastic.
You will not be mad you tried this one out.

3 lb. Pork Roast (I use the ones from Costco that come in a 4 pack)
salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion salt
water 1-2 cups
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 TBSP  tomato bouillon
Monterrey Jack cheese
corn or flour tortillas

1. Place roast in crock pot and season with salt, pepper, garlic salt, and onion salt.
2. Add water around roast. (Don't pour on top or you will lose the seasonings you just put on)
3. Add  the chopped onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, green chilies, and cilantro.
4. Let sit in crock pot on high for at least 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
5. About 30 minutes to an 1 hour before you want to eat it pull the roast out and add the tomato bouillon to the broth.
6. Shred the meat and place back in the crock pot for at least 30 minutes.


**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I usually like to just eat the meat plain with nothing else in with it, although I have been found to add some lime, extra cilantro, and onion from time to time.
~ I have also made this same recipe using chicken breasts and it came out great!
~To make this freezer friendly simply cook as above and shred. Then place meat and juices in containers in the freezer. When ready to use un-thaw and reheat.
~ A lot of people have commented that they don't know what the tomato bouillon is, here is a link to buy it on Amazon. I usually can find it in my local grocery store next to the chicken bouillon down the Mexican food isle.


4 comments:

  1. These were exactly as described above - super easy and super delicious!! We loved them! I thought the meat might be a little too spicey (I am wuss when it comes to spicey foods. But the heat wsd just the right amount. I followed the recipe to a T, the only difference we did was add a little cilantro/onion/lime mixture to the top of the taco and of course I had to top mine with a little dollop of sour cream because I'm an addict ;) all-in-all this was a delicious, easy recipe that we will definitely do again and again!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...