Monday, August 5, 2019

Banana Nut Buckwheat

My families favorite meal of the day is breakfast. Especially my kids. They love everything carb related; Waffles, Pancakes, German Pancakes, etc. I personally cannot handle having a lot of carbs in the morning because it makes me bloat super bad for the rest of the day, so I usually try fix myself something a little less carb heavy. If you like to eat oatmeal, then this is a recipe you need to try. I had never had much buckwheat until I went on an Anti-Inflammatory diet and found that it is very similar to steel cut oats, but cooks faster! This recipe is great for those mornings when you are looking for something that is healthy, not to time consuming, and tastes great.


1 cup raw buckwheat groats
2 cups water / almond milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
pinch salt
1 very large, ripe banana (1/2 mashed, 1/2 sliced thin)
1-2 TBSP chopped pecans (optional)
Other optional toppings could include:
shredded coconut
almond butter
flax or chia seeds

1. In a medium sized pot, add buckwheat, water or almond milk, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Bring mixture to a boil and cover. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, for 8 minutes. Add your 1/2 mashed banana and stir to combine.
3. Allow mixture to finish cooking for an additional 2 minutes, or until the buckwheat is tender.
4. Pour into bowls and top with sliced banana, chopped walnuts.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I will admit that this stuff isn't the prettiest of dishes to look at, but again, it tastes good and is filling.
~ One thing I like to do is add some additional almond milk or coconut milk on the top to help thin it out a bit.
~ If you choose to use water over the almond milk to cook your buckwheat in, your cereal won't be quite as thick.


This recipe came from a blog called Fooduzzi.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...