Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Coconut & Tomato Shrimp

I made this recipe the other week and it was absolutely fantastic. It tasted just like something you would get at an Asian inspired restaurant. The sauce consists of coconut milk and canned tomatoes with the addition of fresh herbs and peppers which makes for a flavor explosion. This recipe is very light and refreshing, which I love for those nights when I feel like I need a little extra bit of healthiness.
Besides tasting absolutely fantastic, this dish really doesn't take long at all to put together. I think the longest thing for me was cooking the rice and prepping the ingredients. So, again, a great weeknight meal because rice and ingredient prepping can be done ahead of time if needed.

1 lb  raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined* see notes
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced thin
4 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts, separated
1/2 cup cilantro
4 cloves garlic, minced
kosher salt (to taste)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (add more for extra spice)
14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
14 oz can coconut milk
1/2 lime, squeezed

1. In a medium to large deep pan, heat olive oil on medium-low heat.
2. Add sliced red peppers and allow to cook for 3 minutes (I like to still have a bit of crunch in my peppers).
3. Add the white parts of the scallion, HALF of the cilantro, red pepper flakes and garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add diced tomatoes, coconut milk, and salt. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and flavors to blend together.
5. Remove lid and add shrimp. (Cooking time will vary based on the size of shrimp you use, but I generally cook large shrimp for 3 minutes).
6. Add fresh lime juice to finish the sauce.
7. Serve over freshly made rice or quinoa.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ For the shrimp. I have used all types of raw shrimp for this. Jumbo shrimp are great but I also like to use smaller shrimp as well for when I am feeding more people (to give the illusion that there is more shrimp in there). It really doesn't matter what size shrimp you use, you will just need to adjust the cooking time accordingly. (I generally use large shrimp)


This recipe was adapted from  SkinnyTaste. I know I can't stop talking about her site. She is simply fantastic in creating or at least adapting the most fantastic recipes ever. If you haven't yet checked her blog out you should because I absolutely love trying out her recipes. They are all healthy and she gives weight watchers points, calories, and most nutrition facts for each recipe. It really is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...