Saturday, May 28, 2016

Avocado Pesto with Zucchini Noodles

I've been trying out some new recipes over the past couple of weeks for my fellow anti-inflammatory dieters. This is one that we really enjoyed in our household. This is a great recipe because its so simple and tastes really good. I believe from start to finish this meal took me maybe 10 minutes. That's pretty awesome in my book.
Zucchini noodles have been kind of a fad lately. I see them popping up all over pinterest and to be honest I have always wanted to try them but just never have. When cooked up they do look just like spaghetti noodles so you don't even miss having the real noodles in there.

This recipe came from a blog called Eat Yourself Skinny. I haven't tried any other recipes from this site but I have looked through some of them and have pinned a few to try.


2 large zucchini, spiralized
1 Tbsp olive oil

For the Sauce:
2 ripe avocados
1 cup fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup pine nuts
2 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp. sea salt
¼ cup olive oil
Cracked black pepper, to taste


1. Spiralize your zucchini and set aside on paper towels so that any excess water is soaked up.
2. In a food processor, add avocados, basil leaves, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice and sea salt and pulse until finely chopped. Then with the motor still running, add olive oil in a slow stream until emulsified and creamy.
3. Drizzle olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat then add zucchini noodles, cooking for about 1 to 2 minutes until tender.
4. Add zucchini noodles to a large bowl and toss with avocado pesto. Season with cracked pepper  serve and enjoy!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I personally do not own a spiraler (I know, sad sad face) BUT I assume most people out here don't have one. I did my zucchini on a mandolin so my noodles were more long and skinny rather then nicely spiraled. They still had the same texture, I assume.
~ I also cooked my noodles just shy of being soft. I don't like zucchini cooked all the way through because it gets to mushy for my taste. So I take it off the heat when it still has a bit of a crunch.
~ I used 4 small zucchini and it was nowhere near enough for the amount of sauce that I had. So my suggestion is to not combine it all together. Put some on your plate and add enough sauce to cover.
~ This would be great with some grilled chicken if you're looking to add in some protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...