Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Roasted Parmesan Vegetables

Isn't this dish beautiful!?
A few weeks ago I went to this market where they take donations for semi unlimited fruits and vegetables. The catch is, is that they produce is on its way out so you need to use it really fast. When I got home I realized I had a lot of zucchini, summer squash, and tomatoes and I knew that I had seen a yummy looking recipe on pinterest. Thus came this recipe.
Now I'm not usually a huge fan of yellow squash but with the seasonings on it and the cheese it made those edible for me lol. I loved the pop you got from the tomatoes bursting open in your mouth and the zucchini was fabulous.
A perfect way to use up all those garden vegetables, instead of running around in your church parking lot looking for unlocked cars to put all your excess squash in ;)




This recipe came from a blog called Cooking Classy.

2 small zucchini (1 lb), cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
2 small yellow squash (1 lb), cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
14 oz Flavorino or small Campari tomatoes, sliced into halves
3 Tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 Tbsp)
1 1/4 tsp Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (2.4 oz) finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Fresh or dried parsley, for garnish (optional)
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line an 18 by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with a sheet of parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, garlic and Italian seasoning (if possible let rest 5 - 10 minutes to allow flavors to infuse into oil).
3. Place zucchini, squash and tomatoes in a large mixing bowl. Pour olive oil mixture over top and gently toss with hands to evenly coat.
4. Pour onto prepared baking dish and spread into an even layer. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Sprinkle Parmesan over the top of each.
6. Roast in preheated oven 25 - 30 minutes until veggies are tender and Parmesan is golden brown. Garnish with parsley if desired and serve warm.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~Now really I think the squash and tomatoes could be replaced with any number of vegetables so I like this recipe because its a good base for a number of them.
~ I did not end up cooking mine nearly as long as this recipe called for. Once I started to notice they were getting soft I pulled them out because I personally like my vegetables with a little bit of a crunch to them still, instead of mush.
~For gluten free just make sure you are checking your cheese. A lot of the time if you buy shredded cheese at the store it has been tossed in some kind of gluten to keep it from sticking together.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...