Monday, May 16, 2016

Potstickers

You know, I love Asian foods. One of the reasons I like it so much is because for the most part it's pretty easy to make and honestly the flavors are always going to be pretty similar to anything you can get at a restaurant.
A few weeks ago I was in the mood to have a break from life and spend some time in the kitchen. Yes I know that may sound strange to some but my relaxing time is when I can just be alone in the kitchen without screaming children and just cook. I don't know, there is just something about hearing the knife slice through fresh vegetables that just makes my brain happy. So on a rare occasion I try to take a little break from life and prepare a meal that takes a little more then just a "quick throw it in a pan" type of prep.
Potstickers. Ohhhh I love them. Not only do they look so cute and fun but they taste awesome. This recipe is approved by my whole family, even my 4 year old which at this stage in life is pretty hard to get any approval on any food.
Once you get into the groove of making these they actually don't take that long to make, especially because you don't have to cook the filling first. AND...you can freeze your leftovers and save for another time!

Chungha over at the blog called Damn Delicious is seriously so amazing. She takes the most beautiful pictures of her food, which is what always gets me to try the recipes, but then they are always good so its always a win win from her blog. I highly encourage you to stop by her site.

1 pound ground pork
1 cup shredded green cabbage
3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon hoisin
1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon Sriracha*, or more, to taste
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
36 won ton wrappers
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Soy sauce, for serving

1. In a large bowl, combine pork, cabbage, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, hoisin, ginger, sesame oil, Sriracha and white pepper.
2. To assemble the dumplings, place wrappers on a work surface. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the pork mixture into the center of each wrapper.
3. Using your finger, rub the edges of the wrappers with water. Fold the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape, pinching the edges to seal.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potstickers in a single layer and cook until golden and crisp, about 2-3 minutes per side.
Serve immediately with soy sauce, if desired.

**To freeze, place uncooked potstickers in a single layer on a baking sheet overnight. Transfer to freezer bags.**

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I did not use shiitake mushrooms mainly because I just buy what is cheapest at the grocery store, so I just used regular old baby portabella ones and it was just dandy.
~ When working with the won ton wrappers you need to make sure that you aren't over filling these, because any little tear in them will result in a massive spillage in your pan
~ Also make sure they are completely sealed all around it. For the same reason.
**To freeze, place uncooked potstickers in a single layer on a baking sheet overnight. Transfer to freezer bags. When you go to use them again, learn from my mistake and separate them back into a single layer on a baking sheet with parchment paper to prevent sticking. I just left mine in the bag and when they thawed the wrappers got a little bit sticky so they all stuck together with a result of many ripped potstickers and a huge mess. **

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...