Monday, June 6, 2016
Cheesy Broccoli Mac n Cheese
As an adult I must admit I still really enjoy having mac n cheese and hot dogs but I don't like the taste of boxed mac n cheese any more. It tastes soooo processed and just flat out gross ro me.
I have been making homemade for many years now because not only is it just as easy, it tastes a million times better and is very versitle.
For example I use the cheese sauce recipe, add broccoli and serve it over baked potatoes as well, DELISH.
This is a basic cheese sauce recipe that you can obviously tweek to your liking.
1 1/2 cups frozen broccoli florets
1 TBSP butter
1 TBSP flour
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. For the noodles. I usually use penne for pretty much everything but use your favorite noodle and boil it till just UNDER how you like it. Add frozen broccoli and let cook until tender but still crisp (2-3 minutes).
2. While noodles and broccoli are boiling make the cheese sauce.
3. Add butter to medium pot and turn to medium high heat.
4. When melted add flour. Stir to combine and let cook for 1 minute. You can add in salt and taste.
5. Slowly whisk in milk until combined. Make sure you do this slowly and stir it a lot so clumps don't form.
6. Bring to a boil and let thicken (on my stove that takes about 5 minutes).
7. Once it's boiled and to your desired thickness, remove from heat, and whisk in cheddar cheese.
8. Pour over drained noodles and enjoy.
**Randi's Side Notes**
- I have also made this with mozzarella cheese and white cheddar cheese both equally amazing.
- If I have more then 3 people eating this then I double the recipe.