I never knew how simple making kettle corn was. The hardest part is making sure it doesn't burn. Which if you keep an eye and an ear on it you won't have any problems at all.
I've seen a billion different ratios out there for what people use but this is how we personally do it.
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1/4 cup sugar
*1 tsp. salt (give or take however much you like)
1. Put oil in a large pot and turn to medium high heat.
2. Add 1 kernel of popcorn (YES 1 KERNEL). Cover pot.
3. When kernel pops into popcorn you know the oil is hot enough, add the rest of the kernels and sugar.
4. QUICKLY shake the pot to distribute the sugar all over the kernels. Continue to shake the pot every 5-10 seconds so that the sugar doesn't burn.
5. When you stop hearing pops, the popcorn is done. Hurry and pour it into a massive bowl to prevent burning.
6. Sprinkle with salt (I usually do a little salt at a time) and stir to evenly coat.
7. Let it cool a minute or two before eating (if you can resist) so that the popcorn can get that nice hard outer layer.
**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I would not recommend trying to double this recipe mainly because you will get a lot of unpopped kernels and risk burning the rest trying to get it all popped.
~ This stores great in a ziplock bag for at least 3 days.