Thursday, June 13, 2013

Mango Coconut Chia Pudding + Other Variations



Yes you read the title correct. Chia. Just like those wonderful commercials we all remember seeing while we were growing up "Cha Cha Cha Chia". I have noticed that using chia seeds is another ingredient that people are starting to branch out and try so I figured I might as well jump on the train and see why. Chia is an excellent source of omega fatty acids and full of minerals, vitamins and fiber. Aside from making pudding, you can add them to smoothies, muffins, or throw them in some cereal.
I wanted to try out this recipe that I found on my always favorite site, SkinnyTaste, because I knew that this would be a recipe that my husbands patients could eat for breakfast. Its simple and easy to put together, throw it in the fridge overnight, and BAM breakfast is ready to go whenever you need it. The chia seeds give the pudding the texture of a tapioca pudding, but the chia seeds in themselves don't really have much of a flavor. This recipe is so versatile that you could throw in any combination of fruits and eat a different variety every day of the week! 



1/2 cup lite coconut milk
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup fresh ripe champagne mango, diced
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut (I personally don't use sweetened coconut and like it better)
Optional:
4-6 drops Nu-Naturals liquid stevia (or sugar/honey to taste)

Combine all ingredients in a large container. Mix VERY well and close container. Refrigerate overnight or at least 5-6 hours.
*This recipe is meant for 2 servings. I tried to eat all of it in one and couldn't do it. The rest is currently sitting in the fridge and probably will until tomorrow. If something changes with the texture or flavor by tomorrow I will update*

**Randi's Side Notes**

~ Anti-Inflammatory diet friends, leave out the stevia or other sweetener. If you have a good mango, it will be sweet enough to where you won't even miss the added sugar. I hope these ideas help you with your breakfast needs. I know that breakfast is the hardest meal of the day to plan for. 


~ There are numerous possibilities for how you could change this recipe up. Add slivered almonds for a bit of a crunch. Instead of the mango, coconut, and coconut milk, just throw in your favorite berries (raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries) with a cup of the almond milk and the chia seeds. Triple Berry Chia Pudding
Looking for a dessert that won't be full of sweets? Simple...do all the same mixtures but instead of putting it in the fridge put it in a popsicle mold and freeze it overnight! GENIUS! Raspberry Coconut Chia Pudding Pops

*All of these recipes came from Gina over at SkinnyTaste. If you are looking for more fantastic healthy recipes, check her recipes out. Her website is where I have been finding a lot of fantastic healthy recipes over the past couple of years. If you find some you like but don't want to be the first to try it, send me a message and I will try them for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...