Thursday, June 27, 2013

Chicken Taco Salad

I decided to switch things up with my taco salad the other night. I usually just use ground turkey (which is still amazingly yummy) but decided that I wanted to use up some chicken breasts I had sitting in the fridge. This has to be one of the quickest, meals I have ever put together in my life. How simple. I personally like to throw some homemade Pico De Gallo (gave the recipe yesterday) on top to give it that extra homemade feel. This meal will come together in 10 minutes or less, so its the perfect weeknight, I don't feel like cooking but want something delish meal!
Also, down below in my side notes I have a homemade recipe for Taco Seasoning if you don't have any or you can't use the store bought ones for one reason or another!


3 chicken breasts, cubed into bite sized pieces
1-2 TBSP taco seasoning, depending on how much spice you like (Check your brand. Some contain gluten and some don't. If you are unsure you can use the recipe down below in my comments for a homemade Taco Seasoning)

(remaning ingredients are simply suggestions, add what you like!)
pico de gallo
avacado
grated cheese (For GF, shred it yourself.)
lettuce
black beans
cilantro
sour cream
fresh lime
frito corn chips

1. Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces. Throw in a pan with the taco seasoning and cook until done. It shouldn't take long at all because the pieces are so small.
2. Assemble with whatever your favorite taco toppings are! Mine went as follows
Fritos
Chicken
Cheese
Pico De Gallo
Avacado
squeeze of fresh lime

Bam....its done.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If you wanted to make this diet approved, serve it in a lettuce wrap. You could use chicken or ground turkey (both equally as good). Throw on some avacado, lime, cilantro, onion and black beans! Just make sure you double check all the ingredients in your taco seasoning. Some of them can contain some pretty funky stuff! Once you can have corn....you can totally use the Fritos!!
I do know the McCormick brand of Taco Seasoning you cannot use, so if that is all you have then you can make your own combination. Here is a great homemade Taco Seasoning recipe:

1 TBSP chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper

~ Like I said before I usually use ground turkey which is my other favorite way to enjoy such a simple meal! You could also use ground beef, really I bet about anything would be good!
~ You could use regular tortilla chips, but I'll tell you what, there is something magical about using the Fritos.
*Interesting fact about Fritos, have you ever just looked at the ingredients? For a chip...these are actually pretty darn healthy! They only have corn, corn oil, and salt! Thats it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...