Sunday, February 27, 2011

Vegetable LoMein


I don't know why I don't make this more often. It really isn't difficult at all and its really yummy. I got this recipe from my mom, but I think she got it from my sister?! Anywho...I got it, and thats the point :)
A fantastic dish, that's what this is. It's jam packed with vegetables and guess what, you don't even miss the fact that there is no meat in it. I usually serve this up as a main dish. Its plenty filling and tastes absolutely fantastic!



olive oil
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups fresh bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped green & red onion
2-3 cups coleslaw mix
2 cups broccoli
1 cup chicken broth
8 oz. canton noodles (flourstick)

Sauce:
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
2 TBSP honey
1 TBSP soy sauce
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. ginger

In wok heat oil. Saute vegetables. Add 2/3 of sauce. Add chicken broth. Add canton noodles, cover to soften noodles. Stif. Noodles should be cooked in a few minutes. Add remanining sauce mixture to taste.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When cooking the vegetables make sure you don't add them in all at the same time. You should cook veggies that will take longer first. I ususally do onions, garlic, broccoli...then mushrooms and bean sprouts...then at the very end add the cole slaw mixture.
~ Im sure this would be good with some shrimp in it, but I don't really think it needs to have any kind of "meaty" texture. Its plenty filling for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...