Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My favorite lemon bars


I know everybody has their favorite lemon bar recipe and everybody claims that theirs is the best...but...THIS is my favorite recipe and I will claim it as the best.
I make these at least once a month and never get tired of them. In fact, I crave them almost constantly and so does my family.
As of late I have been adding a nice giant raspberry on top of each piece for decoration but I also love the flavor with it.


CRUST:
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour

Cream butter, shortening, and sugar. Add salt and flour-mix well. Pat into a 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes

FILLING
4 eggs slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
Rind of a lemon

Mix all ingredients and pour over hot crust. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until center doesn't jiggle. When done, sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut when cool.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Make sure you keep an eye on these while they are in the oven. Some ovens are a little different and cook way faster. Try to not let it get browned on the top because that makes the bars less creamy in the middle which I like a little bit.
~ ps. it looks better to kind of sift the powdered sugar on top rather then just dump it all on...to me its common sense but it may not be to some others :)

2 comments:

  1. Can you make ahead of time and freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never frozen these so I cannot say. If it were me, I personally wouldn't do it because it may change the texture of the lemon bar. But if you give it a try let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...