Friday, October 11, 2019

Mediterranean Chicken

I have been loving my slow cooker lately. For some reason, I have been busier then usual lately and by the time I get home I haven't wanted to fix dinner. Thus the amazingness of the slow cooker comes into action. Being able to prepare my meals earlier in the day and let it cook while I am out and about makes my life so much easier! Not only does it make dinner time less chaotic, but your house smells amazing the whole time it's cooking, or you get to walk into a home that smells fantastic after a long day.
Is there anything better then that? Okay, having somebody else do all the prep and cooking would probably be better BUT this is a close second. 😁
This is a new recipe that we tried out that is Anti-Inflammatory! Wahoo, I know it's been a while since I added a recipe that knocks out all of those inflammatory foods, but here it is. This dish is packed with flavor. If you have a love for kalamata olives, you will love this dish...if not...well it may not be your favorite! I LOVED this dish and I hope you do as well!
*I also like to prepare this in the Pressure Cooker so I don't need to dirty up another pan to saute the chicken. I have only prepared it using the saute and slow cooker features so far, so if you try it with a different feature you will have to let me know how it turned out!


3 boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 lemon, juiced (about 2 tablespoons)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 cup kalamata olives
1 cup roughly chopped roasted red peppers
2 TBSP capers

1. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper to your taste.
2. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and add a TBSP of oil to prevent sticking. Add seasoned chicken and allow to brown for 1-2 minutes on each side.
3. While chicken is browning, add Italian seasoning, lemon juice, and garlic to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
4. When chicken has browned, transfer to the slow cooker and pour the lemon mixture over the top.
5. Carefully add the onions, olives, red peppers, and capers. Tuck these around the chicken as much as possible so that the seasoning doesn't fall off the chicken.
6. Place the lid on the slow cooker and allow to cook on low for 3-4 hours or high for 2 hours.

*Randi's Side Notes*
~ The first time I made this I noticed the breasts were a little bit dry. The second time I reduced the time to 3 hours on low and this helped quite a bit. If you worry that yours will also come out dry (because all slow cookers temperatures a little different) try adding a little bit of extra liquid into the bottom of the slow cooker before adding the chicken. You could use water, chicken stock, white whine, etc. This will help keep the breasts moist. (yep I said moist). Also, if you use thighs instead of breasts, they tend to be more juicy.

*Recipe adapted from Creme De La Crumb

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...