Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Tilapia Tacos


Okay after taking pictures I realized that I had a LOT of tomatoes in this shot, but I promise there is good fish in there as well!!
We don't eat fish enough at our house, but when we do I like to make sure that I make it in a variety of ways. My kids aren't the biggest eaters of fish (although my oldest LOVES salmon), so when I am cooking fish I tend to try to hide it with lot's of flavor so they don't realize they are eating fish. Thus, the taco. I love fish tacos and I love that there are so many different ways of making fish tacos!
This recipe is great for those who are watching their weight and looking for a non deep fried piece of fish. It's so full of flavor and takes 15 minutes to make!
One of the reasons we don't eat a lot of fish is because it's so darn expensive! Healthy, yes...but expensive! When I'm trying to add some fish in, but not break the bank I always resort to using Tilapia! It's affordable and can be eaten in so many different ways.
So if you are looking for a cheaper way to incorporate fish into your diet, this is your recipe!


olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely minced
1- 1 1/2 lbs tilapia fillets, rinsed off and patted dry
1 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed for less heat)
1 (28 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced (roughly 3 TBSP)
salt and pepper to taste
To serve:
white corn tortillas
1 medium  avocado, sliced
lime wedges
cilantro

1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

2. Add the chopped onion and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the garlic and allow to cook an additional 30 seconds or until aromatic. Remove and set aside.

3. Add a touch more olive oil to the pan. Season tilapia fillets with salt and pepper and place in the pan. Cook on one side for roughly 1 minute and flip. Continue cooking until the flesh starts to flake.

4. Add the onions back into the pan along with jalapeno, drained tomatoes, cilantro, and lime juice.

5. Cook over medium-high heat for roughly 3-5 minutes. While everything is cooking make sure that you are breaking up the fish so that everything is mixed well.

6. Remove from heat when done cooking.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I tend to dish mine up with either tongs or a slotted spoon as sometimes it is still a bit liquidy
~ I like to serve mine in a heated corn tortilla with sliced avocado, lime juice, and cilantro on top
~ You can easily sub out the canned tomatoes and use 2 cups of fresh tomatoes! I have done it both ways and liked it equally.

This recipe was adapted from SkinnyTaste

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...