Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Chow Mein

Whenever I would go to Panda Express growing up I always got the fried rice. The Chow mein always looked so gross to me, but whenever we would go to any type of Chinese restaurant, my mom would get it. Since Panda changed their rice recipe a while ago (I actually have no idea how long ago it was haha) I decided one day a couple years ago to venture out and try the chow mein. Okay, normally I have a hard time saying that my mom knew what she was talking about ;) but she did. Chow mein rocks! I've never gone back to the fried rice and always get the chow mein now and trust me I have a hard time resisting the urge to tell them to just fill up the whole container and forget the main dishes.
This recipe is a great mock version of the Panda Express kind. It has very similar ingredients, as far as I can tell, and it tastes just as good if not better.
It also comes together very quick so its an easy side to pair with your favorite dishes.  SO YUMMY!
Anyway, enjoy!


1/3 cup soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBSP brown sugar, packed
2 tsp freshly grated ginger or 1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon  pepper
2 (5.6-ounce) packages refrigerated Yaki-Soba, *seasoning sauce packets discarded*
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP sesame oil
1 small onion, diced
3 stalks celery, sliced
2 cups shredded cabbage

1. Get a large pot of water boiling. This will be to cook your noodles in.
2. While you are waiting for the water to come to a boil, prepare the sauce by combining the soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper in a small bowl. Set this mixture aside.
3. When the water has come to a boil, add the Yaki-Soba noodles and cook just until they have become loosened (roughly 1-2 minutes). Drain well and set aside.
4. Heat a large skillet or wok to medium high heat. Add olive oil and sesame oil and cook onion and celery. Cook while stirring often for roughly 3-4 minutes.
5. Add the cabbage and cook for an additional minute (I like a little crunch still, but if you don't, add additional time).
6. Add the Yaki-Soba noodles to the large skillet along with soy sauce mixture. Mix until well combined and allow to cook 1-2 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ In my store the Yaki-Soba noodles are over in my produce area which has a little Asian section in it. It should be by where the wonton wrappers and egg roll wrappers are. There were many different flavors to choose from and I personally didn't discard the seasoning I saved it and used it for a quick seasoning for another dish I made.
~ The noodles are like a fresh ramen noodle but a little bit thicker. I don't believe this is the exact kind of noodle that Panda Express uses, but it's pretty close.
~ I also LOVE soy sauce, so I always end up pouring more on my own plate later, but the rest of my family prefers it with less. So if this isn't as flavorful as you want, add some more at the table just as you would if you were eating at the restaurant.

This recipe was adapted from Damn Delicious.

1 comment:

  1. From the past few weeks I am listening that my wife will make chow men but she is unable to have good recipe. Going to show this post to her and hope that she will make it in coming week

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...