Friday, October 4, 2019

Honey Walnut Shrimp

Oh my.  I have tried making this recipe quite a few times and never could get the sauce to taste like the kind they have at Panda Express. Well....I've figured it out, at least as close as I could tell.
This is my all time favorite dish to order when we go to Panda Express. Yes I realize spending an extra $1 is a lot of money especially when you only get like 4 shrimp...but I love it. I love the crunchy candied walnuts and the sweet sauce on the shrimp..mm..mm.mmmm.
Like I said before, I have tried a few different recipes that I have found online and been given by friends and family and I didn't care for the sauce that much because it had way to much mayo for my liking and the flavor just wasn't quite right. So I played around with the ingredients and measurements a little bit and I think I got it down.
I hope you like it as much as we did.

For the Walnuts:
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup walnuts

1. Bring the water to a boil and add the sugar.
2. When the sugar is dissolved and starting to thicken add the walnuts.
3. Reduce the heat to medium low and let it continue to simmer until the water starts to darken into a caramel color.
4. Remove walnuts with slotted spoon and cool on wax paper. (Don't just pour it onto the paper because it will turn into brittle and be hard to get the walnuts apart)

For the shrimp:
1/2 pound shrimp, shelled and de-veined
1 egg white
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2-1 cup cornstarch
oil for frying

1. Combine the shrimp, egg white and salt and let marinade for 30 minutes.
2. When ready to fry coat with the cornstarch.
3. Fill a pot 2-3 inches high with oil and bring temperature to 350. (Or my way of telling is if I tap my finger on the water faucet and get just one drop and throw it in the pot and the water gives me just the right about of splatter and sizzle then I know its ready).
4. Throw a few shrimp in at a time (be careful!) and cook for 1-2 minutes (if using the smaller sized shrimp, larger shrimp will obviously need closer to 3-5 minutes).
5. Pull them out and place on a paper towel to drain off excess grease.

For the sauce:
1 TBSP mayo
1 TBSP honey
1 tsp lemon juice
3-4 TBSP sweetened condensed milk

1. Combine and pour over shrimp and add candied walnuts.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ As mentioned above I wasn't fond of the other recipes out there for the sauce. I basically just switched the mayo and the sweetened condensed milk ratios and it came out perfect for me personally. I like it to be more sweet. If you aren't a fan of the sweetness, simply do 1 TBSP of the sweetened condensed milk and 3 TBSP of the Mayo.
~ I usually get the shrimp marinading and then do the walnuts and sauce while its marinading. That way I don't have to worry about doing anything other then fry the shrimp when its time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...