Monday, June 3, 2019

The BEST Blueberry Muffins

I have made several different recipes for blueberry muffins and none of them were very good. Well ladies and gents...I no longer have to find a good one and neither do you! This recipe is freaking amazing!!!We make these muffins at least once a month, and they always get rave reviews from whoever eats them.
This recipe has just the right about of sweetness to help bring out the blueberry flavor and the crumble on top...oh yes...its sugary and crunchy and delicious!
This recipe is also a bit unique in the fact that you use browned butter to make them. Don't be turned off if you've never had browned butter. It's beyond simple to make and adds such a wonderful nutty flavor to your muffin.



7 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-2 cups fresh blueberries (rinsed and drained)

For the crumble topping:
3 Tablespoons very cold unsalted butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 TBSP granulated sugar

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a muffin pan with  baking cups; set aside.

2. Melt the 7 TBSP of butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Do not stir right away, just allow the butter to do it's thing, but keep an eye on it. When the butter has reached the point where it is done crackling, it will turn a medium brown color and smell a little nutty. This means it's done. Remove from the heat right away and transfer to a bowl to cool.

3. While the butter is cooling, prepare the crumble topping. Combine the butter, flour, and sugar in a bowl and rub together with your fingers until the butter is fully incorporated and crumbly.

4. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until thoroughly incorporated. Slowly, stir in the cooled brown butter.

5. In a separate medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder and salt). Once incorporated, add the milk and butter mixture all at once and stir gently.

6. Carefully fold in the blueberries and divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin pan. (The batter will be pretty thick if using buttermilk. If it is to thick that you can't fold the blueberries in, add a splash of milk).

7.  Sprinkle the crumble evenly over the muffin batter in the cups.

8. Bake the muffins for 20 to 22 minutes, you will know when it is fully done when you can stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean.

9. Cool in the muffin pan for 5 minutes before removing and ENJOY!

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If you don't have any fresh blueberries you can use frozen as long as you thaw them and allow them to drain first.
~ I prefer my muffins to not be completely full of blueberries so I generally add closer to the 1 cup, but if you like them a little more heavy, simply add more blueberries without altering the batter.
~ If you don't have baking cups or prefer not to use them you can just spray the tins, but I have found that I like the outside texture of the muffins better when they are in a paper liner. I also have used the silicone liners, but noticed the outside doesn't get as crunchy on the bottom.

 The original recipe for this muffin came from another blog entitled Seeded at the Table. I will actually be trying another recipe from this site later on this week. Hopefully it turns out as yummy as these muffins did!

15 comments:

  1. Adding the streusel topping is like the cherry on the ice cream! Yum! Thanks! http://xobakingco.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think I could use fresh peaches instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ABSOLUTELY!!! Oh I bet that would be fantastic. Like a miniature peach cobbler! You'll have to let me know how that turns out, because that is a GREAT idea!

      Delete
  3. So, I made these last night and HOLY YUM!! They were seriously like the best muffins ever. Hubby went crazy over them.

    I loved them so much that I'll be sharing them on my blog - I'll link back to you!

    Thanks for this beautiful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just made these a couple of days ago as well! Glad you liked them as much as we do in our house. I swear it's the browned butter that makes them so different from other recipes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. so happy i tried this recipe i used fresh strawberys turned out so great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE STRAWBERRIES! I just got done making a huge batch of freezer jam and had some left over. I will have to try them in this recipe as well! Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  5. I have them in the oven but I'm a little anxious. The batter was so thick I couldn't stir in the berries. I wound up scooping it into my hand and plopping balls into the muffin wrappers. Is this normal or did I do something very wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty thick batter but I wouldn't say it's thick enough to use your hands. Using buttermilk over regular milk makes the batter a lot more thick. I usually have to stir the berries in with either a wooden spoon or a heavy duty rubber scraper because of the thickness, and I do only put in 1 cup of the berries over the 2 cups the original recipe calls for. I hope they turned out still tasty!

      Delete
  6. I made these muffins for breakfast today. HOLY COW! They are absolute perfection. My only adjustments I made (strictly for personal taste) was to swap out the vanilla for half almond half lemon extracts, and I put a little glaze of the same extracts, powdered sugar, and water on the top. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LEMON! Why have I never done this?! Thanks for the great suggestion.

      Delete
  7. Made these this evening. I added 1/2 tsp of fresh lemon zest and substituted coconut butter for regular. These where seriously amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm I have just started trying out coconut butter in recipes. Thanks for the idea. I will have to try it next time.

      Delete
  8. These muffins are fantastic - it's my "go-to" recipe!!! The only change I made was cutting the salt in half. They are loaded with blueberries; and, likely you could cut back on them, but why would you??? Each muffin is 216 calories (I'm watching my weight) and contains 173.5 mg sodium (my hubby has high blood pressure). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks for adding the calories and sodium content figures.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...