Friday, November 15, 2019

Slow Cooker Basil Chicken

I love basil. Like, absolutely love it. So when a friend of mine told me I need to try a similar Basil Chicken recipe, I knew I needed to jump on it immediately. This recipe is amazing. If you like curry, and you like basil, this recipe will be your jam.
I think sometimes people feel that Anti-Inflammatory recipes are lackluster in the flavor department, but I am here to show you otherwise. This Anti-Inflammatory recipe is jam packed with flavor and seriously will not disappoint. I love the fact that this dish is made in the slow cooker, because it makes my house smell delicious for many hours and it helps to keep dinner time less hectic. I also love the fact that I GENERALLY will have all of the ingredients on hand to make this, which makes it budget friendly and easy to add into a rotation when I have forgotten something at the store for a different meal.
I haven't tried to figure out times for making it in the Pressure Cooker yet, but I'm sure that won't be to far off in the future.

2-3 chicken breasts, depending on size, or 4 bone-in chicken thighs
salt and pepper
1 tsp. olive or coconut oil
1 can coconut milk
1 TBSP basil leaves, dried
1 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
1 TBSP yellow curry powder
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1/2 large red onion, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, finely chopped, leave seeds in for more spice
1/4 cup blanched almond flour
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated or 1/2 tsp. powdered ginger
1/3- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

1. Add oil to large skillet and heat to medium-high heat.

2. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and add to skillet, when hot. Sear the chicken for 2 minutes until nicely brown on the bottom, then flip, and cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown as well. (Searing the chicken before putting it in the slow cooker will help keep the your chicken more moist). Transfer chicken to the slow cooker.

3. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, basil, sea salt, pepper, curry powder, and chili powder. Stir to combine, and pour all around the slow cooker.

4. Add chopped red onions, minced garlic, and minced jalapeno.

5. Put lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours.

6. Remove the chicken from slow cooker, when cooked, and allow to cool for a few minutes.

7. While chicken is cooling, add ginger to liquid in the slow cooker. Stir to combine. Then add almond flour, one tablespoon at a time, to help thicken the sauce.

8. Shred the chicken, return the meat to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Replace the lid and allow to cook another 10-15 minutes, just to combine all the flavors.

9. Just before serving add in chopped cilantro and serve. I like to serve mine over rice, but I have also served it over quinoa and riced cauliflower as an Anti-inflammatory alternative and liked them equally.


**Randi's Side Notes**
~ When adding spices that have some heat in them, I generally add a little bit less then what recipes call for because my family are not huge heat lovers. This recipe is a bit more mild, so if you like things on the spicier side add more black pepper, chili powder, and jalapeno.
~ Although I have not figured out times for cooking this using the Pressure Cooker feature, I do usually make this in the Pressure Cooker, only I use the saute feature and the slow cooker feature on it. This helps eliminate one more pan that I don't want to clean.
~ This can be made as a freezer meal. Simply sear the chicken and add it to a freezer bag. Then add all of the remaining ingredients (excluding the ginger, almond flour, and cilantro) mix to combine, and put in the freezer. When ready to use, thaw in the fridge and place everything in the slow cooker and follow the remaining steps of adding the ginger, almond flour, and cilantro in after the chicken is cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...