Monday, November 18, 2019

Sausage & Potato Casserole

I figure I have posted enough healthier meals, let's shake things up a bit and talk casseroles. Generally, I am not a HUGE lover of casseroles because let's be real, they don't look that appetizing and I hate that my kids take one look at them and immediately decide that the meal will be disgusting without even trying it.
BUT this is a casserole my entire family is always on board to eat. Is it the most healthy recipe...no...but is it delicious...ABSOLUTELY!
This recipe reminds me so much of my favorite breakfast food, which is biscuits and gravy. Basically, it's a more dinner appropriate version (although I am very much so NOT opposed to having breakfast food for dinner).
I came across this recipe many, many, many (yep I'm old) years ago in some random cookbook I used to have. The funny thing is, the recipe didn't have a picture (probably because casseroles are not fun to photograph). I almost NEVER make recipes if I have not seen a picture of it but for some odd reason I had decided the ingredients sounded good enough on their own that I was going to give it a try. I'm glad that I did, because this dish is one of my husbands favorites now.
Not gonna lie, this recipe is more labor intense then I generally like because I like things super easy, and it does dirty up a few extra pots and pans, but, it's worth it.

4 cups thinly sliced peeled potatoes
1 tsp. salt
1 pound bulk pork sausage
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 TBSP butter
3 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 cups milk

1. When slicing the potatoes, I like to use a mandolin so that all of my potatoes are even in size. When all potatoes are sliced, add them to a medium-large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat for roughly 5 minutes, just to soften the potatoes a bit.

2. Drain the potatoes, and set aside.

3. While the potatoes are cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray pan to prevent sticking, and add sausage and onion. Break sausage up into bite sized pieces while cooking, and drain when fully cooked.

4. Using the same pot that the potatoes had cooked in (or a different one if you like doing dishes) melt the butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, stir in the flour, salt, and pepper and whisk to combine. Gradually add milk a little bit at a time and whisk to combine and prevent large lumps from forming. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.

5. To assemble: take a round 2 qt. glass baking dish and spray with cooking spray. Add 1/3 of the potatoes to the bottom of the dish, top with 1/3 of the sausage, add a small handful of cheese and top with 1/3 of the sauce. Continue this process until the dish is full. Top with a little extra cheese and cover with lid.

6. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and cheese is nicely melted.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ There have been times when I have made this and forgotten to layer the ingredients. It still tasted just fine, but the potatoes on the bottom wouldn't have as much of the flavor from the sausage and sauce. So, if you are in a hurry and don't have time to layer it, you can simply put the potatoes in the bottom, add the sausage, add half the cheese, pour the sauce over, add the remaining cheese...just know that the potatoes on the bottom may be a bit dry.
~ To cut down on some calories you could easily substitute the pork sausage for turkey breakfast sausage. You could also use skim milk to make the sauce, although this will result in a little bit of a runnier sauce, which is totally fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...