Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Chicken and Asparagus Stir Fry

Something I love about summer is that keeping meals light and simple. This recipe is so refreshing to me. It has classic Asian ingredients that just seem to pop with freshness.
I also like cutting everything into smaller pieces because that allows the cook time to be way less, which means that my kitchen doesn't have to be super hot for a long time. Now right now asparagus in most places is not at its cheapest, usually it is best in the spring, I when I made this recipes I actually used green beans which were a great substitute.
This recipe comes from my all time favorite cooking blog out there called SkinnyTaste!!! I know I have said this so many times but on a SERIOUS note...I have seriously never had one recipe from her site that I have not liked. I have enjoyed so many recipes on there that I can't stop going back. In fact this week I believe I have 2 new recipes from there, and I know I have many on my blog already. She also just came out with her first cookbook which I am SUUUUUPPPPPEEEEERRRRR excited about, even though I love searching for recipes I know that this one would be one that every recipe in the book would be good so I am totally stoked to get it!


1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt, to taste
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium shoyu or soy sauce (or Tamari for Gluten Free)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons water
1 tbsp canola or grapeseed oil, divided
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
6 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
fresh black pepper, to taste


1. Lightly season the chicken with salt.
2. In a small bowl, combine chicken broth and soy sauce.
3. In a second small bowl combine the cornstarch and water and mix well to combine.
4. Heat a large non-stick wok over medium-high heat, when hot add 1 teaspoon of the oil, then add the asparagus and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until golden, about 1 minute. Set aside.
5. Increase the heat to high, then add 1 teaspoon of oil and half of the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside and repeat with the remaining oil and chicken. Set aside.
6. Add the soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil and cook about 1-1/2 minutes. Add lemon juice and cornstarch mixture and stir well, when it simmers return the chicken and asparagus to the wok and mix well, remove from heat and serve.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Now like I said I actually made mine with fresh green beans since asparagus is to expensive this time of year. I think broccoli would also be great!
~ For gluten free make sure you check your soy sauce!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...