Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Beef and Broccoli over Rice
I always seem to have a lot of broccoli sitting in my fridge so I was trying to think of something other then roasted broccoli. For some reason I couldn't get Panda Express out of my head. So thus....Beef and Broccoli. This recipe was actually pretty darn simple. It was ready in under 30 minutes, which in my book is pretty good. Enjoy.
3 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
1/2 cup water, plus
2 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb boneless round steak or 1 lb charcoal chuck steak, cut into thin 3-inch strips
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
4 cups broccoli florets
1 small onion, cut into wedges
1/3 cup soy sauce (For GF, check your brand)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground ginger
hot cooked rice
1. In a bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons water and garlic powder until smooth.
2. Add beef and toss.
3. In a large skillet or wok over medium high heat, stir-fry beef in 1 tablespoon oil until beef reaches desired doneness; remove and keep warm.
4. Stir-fry broccoli and onion in remaining oil for 4-5 minutes.
5. Return beef to pan.
6. Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger and remaining cornstarch and water until smooth; add to the pan.
7. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
8. Serve over rice.
**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I added a clove of minced garlic to the sauce
~ Also, I added some toasted sesame seeds and some green onions on top for a little crunch.
~ For gluten free please make sure you are double checking your soy sauce labels. Some brands add it in.