Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shepherds Pie


Shepherds pie is such a homey dish. I love it so much. This is one of my favorite cozy dishes to make. There is something about one pot wonders that just warms my belly and makes my heart happy. This dish is seriously fantastic. I know that everybody has their way of making it, so this is how I personally make mine.



1 medium onion
1 pound ground turkey
3/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 can cut green beans
1 can tomato soup
2 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheese (For Gluten Free, make sure you shred your own. Store bought shredded cheese usually contains gluten to keep it from sticking together)

1. Brown ground turkey with onion. Drain off any grease and add salt, pepper, green beans, and tomato soup. Heat through.
2. Transfer to a baking dish and top with half your shredded cheese.
3. Top with mashed potatoes and remaining cheese.
4. Bake at 350 until cheese is melted, and heated all the way through.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ I like to use ground turkey because it has a lot less fat in it and in this recipe it soaks up some good flavor. But if you are more of a beef person, by all means use ground beef.
~ For the mashed potatoes...depending on how big of a hurry I am in when making this it will either get good old fashioned instant potatoes or I'll hurry and whip some real ones up...good either way in my opinion.

**Freezer Instructions**
~ You can prepare this casserole all the way and put it in a freezer safe, bake safe container.
~ When ready to cook, thaw it out all the way and bake until heated through (depending on how cold it is, this may take around 30 minutes)
~ Try using your favorite dairy free cheese to make this dish dairy free.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...