Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shepherds Pie

I happened to have a massive amount of mashed potatoes left over from Thanksgiving that I had put in my freezer. (In case you didn't know, yes, mashed potatoes freeze beautifully!) I've been eyeing them up every single time I have opened the freezer and been trying to figure out when I would use them. Then it came to me. Shepherds pie duh!
This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. I remember eating this all the time growing up and it is a staple in our home now. I have not changed much about the recipe from when I was a child because why ruin a good thing. This is such a homey dish. There is just something about a big ol' pile of this that makes me feel all warm and cozy inside. I'm usually not a huge fan of casserole style meals because they just don't look that good, but I really need to get out of that mindset because they always taste good and have everything in one dish so you don't feel the need to make a ton of sides.

olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 can cut green beans, drained
1 can tomato soup
2-3 cups mashed potatoes
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese  *shred your own cheese for gluten free*

1. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add oil. When oil is heated through add onion and ground meat. Break up meat using a metal potato masher or wooden spoon while it cooks.

2. Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.

3. Drain off any grease when the meat is done cooking and add drained green beans, and tomato sauce. Stir to combine and allow to cook another 2 minutes.

4. Transfer meat mixture to a glass baking dish (with lid) and top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.

5. Add mashed potatoes and smear over the top of meat mixture to create a seal. If there are any cracks or holes, the juice will bubble up over the mashed potatoes and not look as pretty.

6. Top mashed potatoes with remaining cheese and sprinkle with pepper.

7. Cover with lid, and bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~Freezer Instructions~ You can prepare this casserole all the way and put it in a freezer safe, bake safe container. When ready to cook, thaw it out all the way and bake until heated through (depending on how cold it is, this may take around 30-40 minutes)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...