Monday, February 10, 2020

Buttermilk Biscuits

One of my all time favorite meals is biscuits and gravy. Having a good biscuit makes a big difference. I have tried quite a few different biscuit recipes and this one is the winner in our family.
This biscuit recipe is nice and flaky and isn't dry or chewy.
This recipe is for a basic buttermilk biscuit but you could add your own herbs to it to jazz it up and mix up the flavors each time. Not only do I like to use these biscuits for breakfast with gravy but I also love them with a nice warm bowl of soup or even as a hearty side to some Alfredo or, to be honest, I like them warm with some butter and jam on them. FANTASTIC. Ugh my mouth is salivating, now I need to go make some more!


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup  unsalted butter, cold
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
2 tablespoons buttermilk or melted butter for brushing

1-  Preheat oven to 450

2-  Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.

3- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.

4- Add butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, about 5 minutes. **See tip below about how to work with the cold butter for best results

5-  Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture. Pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk; stir until just combined. You don't want to overwork this dough or you won't get those good layers.

6-  Turn dough onto a floured work surface, roll the dough into a rectangle that is roughly an inch thick.

7-  Cut as many biscuits as you can using a 2 1/2 inch round biscuit cutter. (I usually get around 6-8)

8-  Transfer biscuits to the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops of biscuits with 2 tablespoons buttermilk or melted butter.

9- Bake in the preheated oven until browned, about 15 minutes.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ Something I like to do with my butter is to grate it on my cheese grater. I think this distributes the butter more evenly throughout the dough and results in a more flaky biscuit.
~ This recipe does not make a huge amount of biscuits, just enough for a small family to have for one meal. So if you want leftovers or need more then 6 you will want to double this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...