Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Avocado Salsa


One thing I miss about living a little further south is El Pollo Loco. Everything I got at that restaurant was delicious (although slightly over priced in my humble opinion). My favorite thing to order was their Chicken Taco Al' Carbon and I would drench it in this amazing avocado salsa.
So being that we no longer live by an El Pollo Loco I had to go in search of a copycat recipe. 
This recipe is PRETTY DARN CLOSE to El Pollo Loco's Original avocado salsa. I say original because they changed the recipe for theirs a few years ago (per the update below). I don't know if they changed it back but this is our favorite homemade version.
We like ours a bit more thick then how they have theirs but aside from thickness, everything else is pretty spot on.
This recipe is a great alternative to salsa's that use a tomato base for those who can't have tomatoes or who are just looking for something different. We like to make a double batch and keep it in the fridge for a few days to eat with chips and quesadillas.

**UPDATE** I have recently been noticing that the kind at El Pollo Loco is spicier then it used to be and read a sign somewhere that they don't use the jalapeno anymore to make this but they use a habanero pepper instead. So I guess if you like the extra heat you can change the type of pepper in this recipe but I prefer the taste of the original salsa better.


1 ripe avocado
1 jalapeno, stemmed and quartered
1 cup water
1 TBSP white distilled vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (roughly 1/3 of a bunch depending on the size)
1/4 cup onion roughly chopped

1- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor. Puree the mixture until is evenly combined.

2- Pour into storage container, cover, and store in fridge until ready to use.

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ If you like your salsa a little more thick, add a little less then the 1 cup of water.
~ If you like your salsa more on the spicy side, keep the seeds in. If you prefer less spice, make sure to remove the seeds from the jalapeno before adding it to the blender. If you have sensitive skin like me, use gloves when working with the jalapeno otherwise you may end up with fingertips that feel like they are on fire for a few hours.

2 comments:

  1. This looks like green chutney to me. But it probably doesn’t taste like one since it has avocado. Is it sweet, tangy or spicy? I’m curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't really had green chutney before but I would say this more on the spicy side. It's basically a green salsa. You are right though, the avocado flavor isn't strong.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...