Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Carne Asada

I realize this picture isn't the best of quality but my camera on my phone was all I had around when I made these the other night.
I could eat beef tacos every day of the week. While living in Southern California and working at the mall I grew accustomed to being able to have fantastic carne asada tacos whenever my little heart desired.
Since we are still fairly new to Arizona I haven't found a place yet that sells fantastic tacos for a good price so I had to resort to making my own. This recipe is fantastic. Its nice and zingy from all the citrus you put in the marinade but has all the wonderful classic flavors of a true Mexican taco. I served mine up on a white corn tortilla with some fresh made Pico De Gallo and avocado.



3 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeno, grated
1 large handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 lemons, juiced
1 orange, juiced, 1 tsp. orange juice concentrate
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 flank steak or whatever steak or roast you care to use, sliced

1. Combine all ingredients except meat into a bowl and mix.
2. Add your meat and let marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour. (All day for whole steaks)
3. Grill meat for 1-2 minutes per side. (If grilling the steak whole instead of in slices grill to your desired doneness, I usually will do 5-7 minutes per side.)

**Randi's Side Notes**
~ For the steak. I had purchased a roast that had been cut up into slices already (asada style) so I didn't need to marinade it for very long. If you don't have one that is sliced, either slice it yourself OR let it marinade all day. The steak would be easier to grill if it is whole, but in slices the marinade gets all the way through the meat.
~ I had used lemons in the marinade but I think next time I will use limes. There wasn't anything wrong with the flavor of the lemons I am just more of a lime girl. I didn't happen to have any so this is what I used.
~ I also didn't have a fresh orange to use the juice from but I had some concentrate that was already opened in the freezer from my smoothie makings, so I just added a spoonful of that to the marinade.
~ For the jalapeno, when I say grated I mean grated. I  really wanted to flavor of the jalapeno to get into that meat so I took it to a cheese grater to extract every bit of flavor I could. I just used the green stuff, no seeds.
QUESTION--I haven't tried this out on chicken yet so I would love to hear if somebody does try it. I think this would make a great diet approved meal if I can change the meat to chicken or lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...